Help With Buttercream Frosting & Chocolate Cake For Tomorrow's Baking

Decorating By Deb2013 Updated 13 Jun 2013 , 4:58am by Deb2013

Deb2013 Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:15am
post #1 of 6

I'm making just my 2nd specialty cake for my niece's baby shower Saturday and want to make chocolate cake (her favorite). The fondant will be a pale aqua color. If I made chocolate buttercream icing, will it darken/dull the color of the fondant? I thought that would make the most sense if the cake was chocolate. Should I use white/cream colored icing instead?

I also wondered if anyone have a favorite chocolate cake recipe to share?

I saw the chocolate buttercream recipe @ Epicurious that was here in one of the threads: (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Buttercream-109248), but it seems a bit ambitious for my new skills. I was to have finished my Peter Rabbit figure for the top of the cake, got terribly frustrated using staright GP, now trying 50/50 GP/Fondant. Keeping fingers crossed.

TIA,

Deb

5 replies
icer101 Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:35am
post #2 of 6

I have used white fondant over chocolate icing before. It did not show thru. Lots of people on this site use the chocolate cake recipe on back of cocoa box. it is delicious. Go to sweetalopia's blog. I use that also. It is really the herseys recipe also. Lots of decorators use sour cream instead of the milk. there is a thread about that on her. Just google that. I make the chocolate icing recipe that you have linked to.  It is delicious. Many use the recipe on the hersey can also. They love it. hth

kakeladi Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:37am
post #3 of 6

As long as you don't roll the fondant really thin there should be no problem.

icer101 Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:41am
post #4 of 6
Deb2013 Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 4:57am
post #5 of 6

I printed out Sweetapolita's chocolate cake recipe - it sounds delicious - Thanks!

Deb2013 Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 4:58am
post #6 of 6

Great tip - thanks. How long do you knead your fondant before rolling out?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%