How Far In Advance Do I Bake My Cakes Before Decorating

Decorating By nanasunshine Updated 13 Jun 2013 , 2:14pm by nanasunshine

nanasunshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanasunshine Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 5

I have a question for all of you.  I know that I have to bake and frost cakes at least 3 to 2 day's before decorating the.  My question is if I am going out of town and I have to take the tortes with me before decorating them how far in advance do i have to make my cakes?  and do i have to frost them also before I freeze them or do I frost them when I get where I am going?  Please someone help I have never had to drive a long way to take a cake.

4 replies
arfasaira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arfasaira Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I attended a cake decorating class a few weeks ago in preparation for my sister's wedding (I'm doing the cakes) and have a similar problem.

I asked the instructor who told me that I should prepare decorations a few days beforehand and let them dry, cakes can be baked 24 hours in advance and she recommended icing with buttercream on the day or the butter could split (especially as it's getting a lot warmer now).

I hope that help!

SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 12:36am
post #3 of 5

AI must preface my advice by saying I am not a pro, but if for some reason I could not travel with an assembled decorated cake, I would bake the cakes a day or two prior to the day I plan to leave and wrap them tightly in plastic wrap. I would then make my icing once I reached my destination, torte, fill and ice the cakes there. Although, if you make your icing with hi ratio shortening/regular shortening making that ahead would probably be fine too. I don't think I'd make my meringue buttercream ahead of time and travel with it, but that's probably because I'm an amateur. :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 3:02am
post #4 of 5

Cakes can be bakes up to 6 months in advance with proper storage (freezing).  When removed from oven & pan, let cool until you c an easily handle them at which time wrap them in plastic/cling and put into a plastic bag OR wrap again in foil before fz'ing them.  Just be sure it's not wrapped to tightly so it doesn't warp the cake.  Also best to put on cookie sheet until it is hard, then the sheet can be removed.  To further protect the cake you can put it into a cake box after it is wrapped.

Once baked you can ice it before fzing or after.  I suggest after due to the distance you are driving with them.

nanasunshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanasunshine Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks! to all you ladies who responded to my question I really appreciate all of your advice.  I know where to come to now when i need help.  Again thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%