Edible Image Questions

Decorating By hbquikcomjamesl Updated 13 Jun 2013 , 3:33pm by hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 2

Near-disaster mostly-averted: Monday, I went to the local cake supply, to get the sheet of edible printing for my 51st birthday cake, and they'd been out of edible printing media since sometime last week. Today, they're still out of it, and referred me to a bakery across town.

I got it done there (took me a while to find the place), but:

1. I notice, from the package, that they're evidently using Luck's edible printing media The media itself looks exactly like DecoPac edible printing media. Are there any handling differences I should know about?

2. It seems that they have a roller problem  with their edible printer, with the result that I have some streaks in some of the images. Most are not noticeable, but some go right through the sky in the picture of the fire station. Is there an easy way to retouch these streaks out? I'd just trim out the sky, but there's the small matter of a flagpole . . . .

1 reply
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 2

1. I'm assuming that since the stuff looks and feels exactly the same, and cuts exactly the same, and that nobody has said anything about handling differences, there aren't any, and it's just "chill, peel, place, and press."

2. Figuring I could patch the dark streaks in the sky with pieces of the sky in the spare station picture, I tried taking a piece of streaked margin, cutting a patch from un-streaked margin, and swabbing the streak with water so the patch would stick. Lo and behold, the mere act of swabbing the streak with water made the streak less obnoxious, with no real need for patching. Having nothing to lose, I tried swabbing the streaks in the least-presentable station picture, and they faded, and while the swabbing made the sky look more turbulent, it still looked like a sky. So I repeated it with the more-presentable one, and there, too, I ended up with a sky that didn't look half-bad, and didn't look noticeably retouched. The streaks are still there, but they're not nearly as bad.

3. Has anybody had experience with roller problems like what I described? Does anybody have any tips on cheap, easy ways to deal with the problem, that I might pass on to the bakery in question?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%