How Long Before The Wedding Can I Make The Cookies???

Baking By EIPHNH Updated 1 Aug 2013 , 10:40am by riandei

EIPHNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EIPHNH Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 14

Hello to everybody!

It's my first time to write in cake central forum.

In September it's my sister's wedding. I'm charged with making the wedding cake and wedding cookies (as treats outside the church). Due to the fact i'll have to make a wedding cake for 200 people and cookies for 200 people too, I want to organize my time so that I won't have last minute troubles! Therefore, I'd like to ask you how many days/weeks before the wedding can I make the cookies (just the recipe, without the decorating part), when I can decorate them, and how to store them? I'll make the classic butter cookies.

Thanks in advance!

13 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 14

I have made cookies 5 days in advance with no trouble. After they cool and are decorated, I put them in an air tight container. Past 5 days, I couldn't say. Here is a thread about freezing them if you want that as an option. Never done it myself, but they seem to have had success with it (freezing the doug or the cookies themselves) http://cakecentral.com/t/633905/cookie-experts-please-help

EIPHNH Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks. I've also made cookies even 1 week before without problem. But I'd like to know if I can make them even earlier (for instance 2 weeks earlier) and put them in the fridge (I don't want to freeze them, I'm not experienced with that)

cookierookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookierookie Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 14

Here's my input. One of my larger orders was for 425 bride & groom cookies. I started baking about 3 weeks before the wedding and froze them as I baked them. The week of the wedding I thawed about 125 at a time and iced, etc Once they were dry, I froze them again. I did the process over again...and again...and probably again. :) When I had them decorated, I stacked them in tupperware containers with a layer of waxed paper between the layers. The day before the wedding, I sat ALL the containers out on the counter and just let them thaw in the containers. I had to individually wrap all these so by the time I got everything set up to do so, they had pretty much thawed. No troubles with icing colors fading/running, etc. I freeze cookies alot either iced or not, and have not had a bit of trouble. Hope this helps! Good luck!

EIPHNH Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 14

You mean you put the in the freezer? Baked? And with the sugarpaste on??? And after you thaw them, they remain fresh and clean? I'll try with some cookies I've made to see if it works out and I'll return.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 14

I think that sounds like a much better plan than what I have done, lol. I baked 3 days before, next day covered all in fondant, and started putting the edible image on, and stayed up until it was all done, about 36 hours straight, then started on the cake! Slept 3 hours and packaged the cookies, then did the groom's cake, the It was horrible!

cookierookie Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 1:39am
post #7 of 14

EIPHNH,

Yes, that's correct, no fading, taste difference after freezing. I should note that I decorate/ice my cookies with Antonia's royal icing.  Not sure if you said what icing you use, so there could be a difference.  So since you have some time you might want to experiment, it would sure be worth it if everything goes well. :)

cookierookie Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 1:39am
post #8 of 14

EIPHNH,

Yes, that's correct, no fading, taste difference after freezing. I should note that I decorate/ice my cookies with Antonia's royal icing.  Not sure if you said what icing you use, so there could be a difference.  So since you have some time you might want to experiment, it would sure be worth it if everything goes well. :)

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 14

Why don't you make dough , roll out and cut shapes out and freeze unbaked on parchment paper now.  Put in freezer bags.  This gets a lot of work out of way now.  Then 4-5 days before  take out, bake , cool and decorate.  Depending on cookie I still like metal cookie tins best to store some cookies.  Between cake and cookies you have a lot to do so get as much premade ( like bake and freeze cakes as well).

EIPHNH Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 14

Τhanks, but freeze 220 cookies? Where?? My freezer is a normal-size domestic freezer, it's not professional! I don't have space enough to freeze so many cookies...I'll see what I'll do. I'll try some methods, and if they succeed, I'll mention it here, just to know.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 10:08pm
post #11 of 14

Sorry, had no idea on freezer size, but you might be able to make dough up and freeze ahead if you have space then defrost it and work with it. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 10:42pm
post #12 of 14

AEat everything out of your freezers or borrow freezer space from a relative or friend. For an order of this size you really have to have freezer space.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 10:44pm
post #13 of 14

AOr, overwork yourself, which i will from now on refer to as, "pulling an Anna." (Working 36 hours straight.)

riandei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riandei Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 10:40am
post #14 of 14

AIve just joined CC....and saw this post

I am making cookies for a wedding this saturday....today is thursday...

On one cookie i am putting marshmallow fondant... (nfsc)

Can i make them today.... Fondant them friday?? And serve on saturday with confidence of freshness??

Thanks

Eileen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%