Refreezing & Decorating A Fondant Cake

Decorating By sherbear2020 Updated 13 Jun 2013 , 1:07pm by rustyjo

sherbear2020 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 5

I have looked through the threads and I haven't been able to find the exact answer, so I'm sorry to repeat  if this has been asked b4.  

I have a cake that will take several days to decorate with fondant.  I have buttercreamed the cake and frozen (wrapped in saran wrap and then foil)

Can I now take the cake out of the freezer, cover with the main fondant and then refreeze, and continue to do this until the decorations are finished.  

Also would you let the cake thaw before covering with fondant or can you cover it while the cake is still frozen and then put it back into the freezer?

If any of you have had experience working a cake covered in fondant that will take a week or longer to finish please help.

4 replies
rustyjo Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 5

I have done this many times.  Bake a cake, freeze it, apply the icing and the fondant and then refreeze.  I have had no issues.

sherbear2020 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 5

Do you let the cake thaw before applying the fondant or apply it while still frozen?  Thanks.

Deb2013 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 5

I recall reading a thread (here?) that someone had trouble with sweat on the cake after taking it out of the freezer and the fondant not holding well. Has anyone had this experience? I'm about to start a cake with this same process as Sherbear and don't want to mess up. I assume temperature & humidity may impact? It's low 70s in the house and been raining all week. Sunny today, but more rain Thursday & Friday. Thanks!

rustyjo Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 5

Myself (living in a dry climate) take it out of the freezer and remove the saran wrap with no sweating.  And I do let it come to a reasonable temperature before applying more fondant.  Just enough so it will stick.  But I will admit that I leave the tiny complex pieces to adheare till the very end.

Quote by @%username% on %date%