Will A Monday Cake Stay Fresh For Friday?

Decorating By therealmrsriley Updated 17 Jun 2013 , 5:38pm by nannycook

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 20

Hello all, I have a wedding on Friday and I've already baked and froze most of the tiers except the bottom tier which is the biggest....so big it doesn't fit in my freezer. I baked this tier on Monday night and plastic wrapped it very tightly. Will this cake remain fresh for Friday? I haven't put it in the refrigerator, although it will fit, but I was concerned that the fridge would dry it out. My gut says I'm good leaving out and plastic wrapped, but just wanted a second opinion. Thanks in advance.

19 replies
CakeDiva28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva28 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 20

Yes it should be fine. I did a  several cakes on a Friday for a Monday and they we're fine. but just make sure it's in cool place at room tempeture..... 

I made this Friday night late it was picked up Monday for a Baby Shower on Tuesday!! It was great!!

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 20

Thanks CakeDiva, I figured I was good, but I just wanted some reassurance! :)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 20

I might do it for family, but not for a paying customer.  You can usually put a big tier, wrapped, back into it's pan and stand it up sideways in the freezer.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 20

I'd at least put it in the fridge.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 

I might do it for family, but not for a paying customer.  You can usually put a big tier, wrapped, back into it's pan and stand it up sideways in the freezer.

I'd do this (what leah suggests), plus it's going to taste so much better once it's been frozen.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 20

Sorry I don't mean to hijack your thread but as Leah is on and I always read her posts (Finally ordered sps btw and it's on the way - I'll let you know how it goes). Anyway, my question is will a cake from the freezer ganached on thursday, covered in fondant on friday be ok for sunday?

Claire138 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 20

Just to clarify, I'd cover in ganache thursday evening.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 

I have 2 freezers that fit any cake I need to put in there, but this is a really awesome tip!!!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 10:12pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Anyway, my question is will a cake from the freezer ganached on thursday, covered in fondant on friday be ok for sunday?

Yes.

Claire138 Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 11:25am
post #11 of 20

Brilliant, thanks!

johannap_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johannap_73 Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 12:30pm
post #12 of 20

i always ask myself when baking cakes would you pay for a cake that is 4 days old from a bakery....my answer is always no.....but that is just me...i try and bake my cakes no more than 2 days in advance if i cant get them into the freezer or fridge....unless it is a fruit cake and you have plenty of maturing time...butter cakes or sponge or pound cakes no more than 2 days for me...sorry but that is just me. i have had some baaaad cakes from people who bake them on mondays for friday or even the week end...i dont think it is fair to the customer and i also dont think it is fair to you if your cakes end up being dry....

it takes a long time to get a good name for your cakes but it only takes a couple of people with bad tasting or dry cakes to take that good name away.....good luck

OndrejHavelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OndrejHavelka Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 4:37pm
post #13 of 20

No more than 3 days in the fridge...

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 5:11pm
post #14 of 20

I was told by family members who worked for major national bakery chains, that they baked and froze their cakes for up to 30 days before removing from the freezer.  I  could never do that, but Monday for Friday?  Most definitely, especially if it a mud cake.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 5:22pm
post #15 of 20

AI bake on Monday or Tuesday for Friday & Saturday. I fridge but don't freeze.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 1:30am
post #16 of 20

I wouldn't do it.  If you can bake and freeze it for a couple of days, ok.  But I would not just leave it out wrapped in plastic (even tightly).  Or put it in the fridge. 

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 7:33am
post #17 of 20

AI everyone, i'm new on here also, would you give me the benefit of your experience please, i,m making a wedding cake for next sat, planning to bake thecakes on wed and crumbcoat also, then ice thurs and finish on f

nannycook Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 7:34am
post #18 of 20

ASent that too early or wasit my pudding fingers? I meant to finish off on fri?that ok do you think?

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 11:43am
post #19 of 20

That should be fine, Nanny - just wrap in plastic and stick it in the fridge until you're ready on Thursday.

nannycook Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 5:38pm
post #20 of 20

AThank you kearniesue, always welcome a 2nd opinion, its only my 2nd ever wedding cake, so pressures on for this week, arrrgh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%