Cake Smelling Like Nail Polish Remover

Decorating By ClareBear66 Updated 24 Mar 2014 , 9:38pm by howsweet

ClareBear66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClareBear66 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 10:11am
post #1 of 9

AHi guys I have used the same sponge cake recipe for over 3 years without any complaints I made a few cakes recently and a couple of customers have got in touch saying their cake smelt of nail polish remover when cut They said it was stored in a cool dry place and my recipe hasn't changed at all

I provided refunds and the customer seemed understanding as they have had cakes of me before

Has this ever happened to anyone or can anyone tell me what it is? I have a few wedding cakes over the next couple of weeks and the last thing I want is for this problem to continue

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance Clare

8 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 10:37am
post #2 of 9

Were they all done with the same batch of baking soda? Since it's the same recipe you've been using, only thing I can think of is an ingredient gone bad, and usually the first suspect is baking soda.

It also absorbs odours, so if it has been stored near something that smells of remover, it could definitely pass that along to your cakes.

I know recipes with high acid content can have some pretty weird chemical reactions, but that wouldn't make sense unless you've recently changed something.

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 11:49am
post #3 of 9

I agree with scrumdiddlycakes...I don't know much about the science but that would make perfect sense to me. If it was me, I would clean my pantry, fridge, and freezer out and purchase new ingrediants. Hope you get it fixed!

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 11:56am
post #4 of 9

Are you using new cake boards? I ask because I bought some one and they had a very strong glue smell that took ages to wear off!

ClareBear66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClareBear66 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 12:15pm
post #5 of 9

AThanks so much for your replies

You are nothing short of geniuses I checked my baking soda & it's in date but only by a few months! The cakes that customers were not happy with were hand painted, so perhaps the bad baking soda has absorbed some of the edible paints odours Hopefully that is what is has been To the bin it goes & a deep clean of the cook area today should have me back on track

I have been so worried I will be getting complaints from all the customers that week

Once again the benefits of cake centrals members Thanks so much Clare :-) :-D

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 12:21pm
post #6 of 9

What were the edible paints you used? I ask because some of the silver and gold colours (and maybe others) do smell like nail polish remover.

LisaGigo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaGigo Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 7:33am
post #7 of 9

How is it possible that cake smells likes a Nail polish remover?

Grateful613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grateful613 Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 9

AI kept a chocolate frosted chocolate cake in a glass covered cake dish. The cake was very rich and flavored with a tasty extract. I thought it might be rum because my mother used rum extract in her frosting when I was growing up. After about six days, it smelled like acetone (nail polish remover). A piece left on the table no longer had that smell, but tasted strong, like it had alcohol. If you figure it out, please let me know.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 9
You can actually make acetone from vinegar and baking soda and water. But to do so, you wouldn't use old baking soda. Did the cake rise? Because if the baking soda had gone bad, it seems like the cake wouldn't have risen. Is it possible you added more acid than usual? Or that the acidic ingredient was more acid than usual?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%