How Much To Charge Angry Bird And Gift Box Cake???

Business By savsmich Updated 19 Jun 2013 , 2:19am by savsmich

savsmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savsmich Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 4:25am
post #1 of 5

A friend has requested a cake to be made. Here are the specifications: I have no clue how much to charge for this and request your help. I just do baking for family and close friends. I've got 4 years home baking experience and this is easy to make. How much to charge is what is difficult :)

Theme for the cake: angry birds and a gift box cake with a polka dot bow.

Number of people: 20

Details : a 2 tiers cake .6 inch each round and square for 20 people.
Flavors: Chocolate with chocolate buttercream icing and Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

Accents:
1 polka dot bow
1 butterfly
1 or 2 roses or daisies
gift box bow
tulip vine
2-3 small pigs 
4 angry birds
1 big angry bird

Thank you in advance for your help !!

Michelle

4 replies
mpatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpatko Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 5

You need to figure out (at least roughly) what it will cost you to make this cake. I know it varies in different areas but generally cream cheese frosting and carrot cake are a little more costly to make than your basic chocolate and buttercream. Next you need to factor in the time you'll be putting into making this cake, and figure out some sort of hourly wage and factor that in as well.

Or you could look at bakeries in your area and see what they charge per serving for custom cakes. Then you can decide whether you want to charge more, less, or the same.

Or, the way I do it with family and friends is I just charge cost plus tip. I'll say "Hey my cost on this was $, so whatever you think is fair." I've never been disappointed!

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 5

ALegally you can't charge anything for a copyrighted cake.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 1:46am
post #4 of 5

AMaybe it's just a disgruntled bird, and not an angry one. How much should she charge for that?

For me, I charge $3.50/serving for buttercream and $4.50 for fondant. Plus $5-$50 per figure based on difficulty and size. Bows, etc. are just part of the design and I don't charge extra for those.

savsmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savsmich Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 2:19am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for replying :) I really appreciate your feedback and your sincere comments!  I have a fair idea to work on if I am doing it. 

Michelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%