Help! How Much Would You Charge For This!?

Business By BayBeecakes7 Updated 25 Jul 2013 , 7:39pm by costumeczar

BayBeecakes7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BayBeecakes7 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 2:39am
post #1 of 16

Hi everyone! wanted to see if anyone on here has done a cake similar to this or would have an idea of what to charge for it! thank you for your help in advance!

15 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 2:51am
post #2 of 16

AProbably $20 or so for each small cake and ~$100-150 for the large one.

Check out the pricing formula link in my signature below for details on how to set your own prices, since price estimates from other people probably won't help much.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 3:29am
post #3 of 16

I've done individually decorated mini wedding cakes several times and they are VERY time consuming. Those square ones would be the worst to make. I'd have to charge at the least $20. per cake to even consider taking that on. The large one is easier to do then the smaller ones, so it's all about time and how much skill you have.

I'd honestly try to talk a client out of those, because of them being square with lids. seriously. I'd rather beat my head against the wall........to take that on I'd need a BIG payday for the efforts.

BayBeecakes7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BayBeecakes7 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 3:45am
post #4 of 16

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate the advice, I quoted the lady close to that , and haven't heard back yet.....icon_sad.gif we'll see! Pricing aside, its a super cute design!

Declansmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Declansmama Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 4:07am
post #5 of 16

AWow..do you all live in a large city? I could only charge about $10 each for the small ones and maybe $80/$100 for an 8" cake like that...so my quote would be about $500 as shown....without the tower though. I live in a small town though and can only get what people will pay. Good luck. Hope you get the order :-):-D

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 4:14am
post #6 of 16

So, if someone wants a huge cake that takes hours to decorate but can only pay $50 for it - you'll accomodate them? After all - you can only get what people will pay.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 4:22am
post #7 of 16

If I had a brain fart and actually accepted the order, the minis would be starting at $25.

I occasionally do round ones, but I'd have to be pretty desperate for money, or really excited about the design to do those. The lids and square edges make my head hurt just thinking about it!

People look at mini cakes and think, "hey, it's small like a cupcake, so it should be the same price". I remember reading in some wedding magazine before I got married that a good way to cut down on cake costs was to, "get individual cakes made and have them double as favours."

I don't know how much most people spend on favours, maybe it's waaaay more in other parts of the world :P

A lot of bakers seriously underestimate, or just don't understand, the time and effort involved with each of those cutely wrapped PITA's, I suggest making one before you quote.

I also always explain to clients why they are so expensive, instead of just handing them a huge quote.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 4:56am
post #8 of 16

A

Original message sent by Godot

So, if someone wants a huge cake that takes hours to decorate but can only pay $50 for it - you'll accomodate them? After all - you can only get what people will pay.

Exactly. No, you get into another line of work or you offer cakes suitable to their budget AND allows for.you to make a profit and stay in line with what established bakeries charge.

Pyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyro Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 9:02am
post #9 of 16

I just wanted to say that personally, I LOVE making small cakes. Small anything really. I find it much more interesting to repeat the same item if it's small then if it's big.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 1:35am
post #10 of 16

One MILLION dollars!! lol It's gorgeous

Brettley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brettley Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 2:36am
post #11 of 16

I just took an order for round ones and to be honest I DID NOT want to do them so I threw out an atrocious price;15.00 each(in my area that is SUPER expensive) hoping she would run fast in the other direction or change her mind. Well NOPE!! She took it. I must say I stared at the screen, mouth agape in shock when I read the email that she is willing to pay 600.00 for 40 of these. Not sure how I feel about this haha but it's too late now.

These ones though, as someone said above, I would likely end up banging my head against a wall... so 25.00 minimum each. Oye that looks like it took forever! BUT! They will look beautiful when you are finished.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 2:52am
post #12 of 16

AWow.... Now I want to try to make a small one to see how labor intensive it is. Due to my lack of experience I look at them and think"those can't be too hard" lol... But I think that about everything and end up banging my head against a wall (mostly because I undercharged) on almost every project.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 4:26am
post #13 of 16

My husband and I made the cupcake version of these, 168 of them with a tiny 2 tier. It swear it took both of us about 16 hours. It was horrible. Just for the cupcake version I would charge $5-$8.

Deb2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb2013 Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 4:48am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettley 

I just took an order for round ones and to be honest I DID NOT want to do them so I threw out an atrocious price;15.00 each(in my area that is SUPER expensive) hoping she would run fast in the other direction or change her mind. Well NOPE!! She took it. I must say I stared at the screen, mouth agape in shock when I read the email that she is willing to pay 600.00 for 40 of these. Not sure how I feel about this haha but it's too late now.

These ones though, as someone said above, I would likely end up banging my head against a wall... so 25.00 minimum each. Oye that looks like it took forever! BUT! They will look beautiful when you are finished.

As a freelance designer I run into similar situations. If I'm asked to do a design that I really don't care to do, I quote a high price. If they say go ahead, at least I'll be happy that I'm being compensated for the torture. ;)

Brettley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brettley Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 5:36am
post #15 of 16

A

Original message sent by Deb2013

As a freelance designer I run into similar situations. If I'm asked to do a design that I really don't care to do, I quote a high price. If they say go ahead, at least I'll be happy that I'm being compensated for the torture. ;)

YES!!! Couldn't have put it better, "being compensated for torture"!! Torture is the perfect way to describe those darn things. I will admit, they are stunning little things though.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 7:39pm
post #16 of 16

there's no amount of money that would make fiddling with all those little thingies worthwhile. Well, maybe there is but nobody would want to pay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%