Please Help! Best No-Shortening Frosting Or Fondant For Cake That Will Be Refrigerated?

Decorating By Solved Updated 12 Jun 2013 , 6:19am by KathleenC

Solved Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solved Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 7

I'm baking my son's birthday cake this week. I only bake once a year, for his birthday, so I'm already stressed out about it! It'll be a genoise cake (just eggs-sugar-flour-vanilla), moistened with simple syrup, with a layer of lemon curd and whipped cream, and another layer of caramel/dulce de leche. 

I don't want to use shortening, crisco, margarine and etc. I don't really like buttercream (I'm making cooked cornstarch buttercream for the kids' cupcakes, but even that is too sweet and buttery for me). Ideally, I would use straight whipped cream or Swiss meringue, but they both need to be piped last minute, and I have to cook food for the party. I like cakes covered in almond paste/marzipan, but I don't think people here in US like it that much?

What can I do?  I was wondering about white chocolate ganache (without fondant) or cream cheese buttercream (is it really less sweet/buttery?). Is there anything I could just do 12-24 hours in advance or so and let it be in the fridge without it sweating too much? I have MMF decorations to add to the sides of the cake, although in any case I could add them last minute with a little royal glace, couldn't I?

Thanks!!!

6 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 7

If you don't like really sweet, you won't like white chocolate ganache.

You have some pretty distinct flavours in there already with the lemon and the caramel, personally I would just do a stabilized whipped cream. I you google 'Rose Levy Beranbaum stabilized whipped cream', she has a few.

The one with gelatin holds up better at room temp, the one with corn starch will hold up really well in the fridge, but not too long at room temp.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 7

Oh I totally missed the last bit where you said you had MMF decorations to go on, fondant and whipped cream don't mix. So NM my last idea, sorry, won't let me delete for some reason.

MikaylasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikaylasCakes Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 7

I had to make cakes for Easter this year but I had to go to Chicago too. I used swiss meringue buttercream and put it in the refrigerator and it held up beautifully and it was in there for 2 days

Solved Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

Oh I totally missed the last bit where you said you had MMF decorations to go on, fondant and whipped cream don't mix. So NM my last idea, sorry, won't let me delete for some reason.

Thanks! Yeah, the decorations are an issue! Still, I hadn't ever thought about stabilizing whipped cream with cornstarch, so it's an useful tidbit! I love cream on cakes.

Solved Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaylasCakes 

I had to make cakes for Easter this year but I had to go to Chicago too. I used swiss meringue buttercream and put it in the refrigerator and it held up beautifully and it was in there for 2 days

Thanks! I've never made Swiss meringue buttercream (just plain Swiss meringue, sometimes with melted chocolate streaks on top, yum). Does it taste more like meringue or like buttecream?

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 6:18am
post #7 of 7

It has a buttery flavour, and not overly sweet at all.  :-)  It stands up in the fridge quite nicely.  Like butter, it goes quite firm so you will want to bring it out a few hours before serving to bring it to room temp.  If you were to ice the cake the day before, put it in the fridge until the morning of, bring it out, put your MMF decor on, and then leave the cake out until served, it should be fine (as long as it's not 100 degrees in the room).

This is one recipe (and the one I use), but there's any number out there.  :-)

http://sweetapolita.com/2011/04/swiss-meringue-buttercream-demystified/

Your cake sounds positively delicious, by the way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%