What Happens When You Wake Up Sick As A Dog?

Business By bittersweety Updated 12 Jun 2013 , 12:19pm by de_montsoreau

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 9

hey all,

this question pertains to those of you who are a one man/woman show...what do you do when you wake up sick as a dog and really shouldn't be handling food for anyone because of germs etc...? do you power through it? or call the customer to suggest they find another baker? for wedding cakes i understand having a backup bakery should there be an emergency...but what about with normal everyday orders?

8 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 9

Definitely call the customer.  It's difficult, but you don't want to work sick and they will appreciate not having germs in their cake.

This hasn't happened to me yet...I'm scared for when it does...

CaptainCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaptainCupcakes Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 9

I know this sounds crazy...but I SWEAR owning my own business helps me stay healthy. I am so terrified of what happens if I get truly sick that I think I scare my way out of it or power through it. However, I basically plan my week so that things are spread out, baking one day, decorating the next, etc. etc. Therefore, if I get sick early on I can scramble to get caught up. If it is later in the week, I have a very reliable friend who I have taught to do at least some of the work so I have a hand just in case. I know this isn't foolproof, but let's be honest...if it is a one-person show, that is the risk we take. It's also written in my contract for my clients that I have a policy in case of these emergencies. We're human, we can only do our best (and sanitize, a lot.)

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 9

AI haven't been sick in fourteen years. Not even a minor cold!

I must be a medical miracle.

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 9

I don't have my business yet, but for some reason, I seem to be getting a whole lot of sick this year. I'm working on my third cold right now...I'm fighting it! It scares me so much to think of taking an order and then not being able to complete it. I think having a back up plan is a good idea, such as a back up helper when there is emergencies...plus a clause in the contract.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 1:56am
post #6 of 9

It really depends on the order, exactly what is wrong w/you and IF you can power through it.

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 2:08am
post #7 of 9

If you have the strength to do the work, put on a face mask and wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 2:58am
post #8 of 9

AThis is reason #743 why I'll never make cakes as a business. While making my last cake I ended up with strep throat and I had a fever of 104.3!!! I couldn't even lift my head off the pillow and I kept thinking about the cake due the next day. My doctor and pharmacist both said to wear a mask and wash hands a lot if I ended up making it. I told my friends I was making it for and they still wanted me to finish. I managed to get them some sort of cake, it nearly killed me, and then I didn't get off the couch for 14.5 hours (in the middle of the day)! I don't have anyone that could have finished the cake for me. I have also had to cancel a cake because my son ended up in the ER twice in a week. I don't even make that many cakes per year. I think my family and I save really big illnesses just for when I need to make a cake. So, I don't feel comfortable making cakes for important events anymore. I don't want to ruin someone's big day. It makes me sad becaue I do enjoy the process and love the finished product.

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 12:19pm
post #9 of 9

I do not have the time to get sick. In almost 4 years of being self employed I was never sick enough to warrant a stop in my manic schedule.

Last year I delivered and set up a cupcake wedding cake with a sprained ankle. I missed a step in my shop just an hour before and after sucessfully fighting the dizziness I limped to my car and delivered the cake.

So you get tough and get on ouch.gif

But of course there should be a back-up plan. My mother would be able to cover the more basic stuff and my sister can run the storefront for a day or two and I have a part-time help who can bake and run the store as well. As mentioned previously, the cakes and relevant preparations are scheduled over the whole week so I can also catch up if I'm out for a day.

My first full-time employee will start in July so I'll be covered for almost good ;-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%