Man In Hammock Cake Topper

Decorating By kgorhan Updated 11 Jun 2013 , 12:38pm by kgorhan

kgorhan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgorhan Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 6

I have just been asked to make a retirement cake and I wanted to put a man in a hammock next to the beach. The problem I am running into is the largest cake toppers are 8" long and it's going on a full sheet cake. I feel like the topper wouldn't be nearly large enough for the cake. I was thinking of trying to make my own cake topper, but I don't know where to start. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
kimmyk2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyk2007 Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 1:37am
post #2 of 6

ADon't know if you are wanting it to all be food or can you cheat the hammock and how big do you want it? Few thoughts... I've see banana/fruit hammocks that people use on their kitchen counters. Could just use the net and sculpt a character to rest in it. A little smaller- one that was made for Barbie. Omit the pink structure :). A lot bigger- one for the 18" doll. Or... A lot more beach or sea life to scale down the hammock

kimmyk2007 Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 1:47am
post #3 of 6

AJust amazoned it. Fruit hammock is too deep to look right. Barbie's actual hammock is pink, darn. But there are others meant for dolls. Googled it and one hammock type was from this website.[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3031113/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

kgorhan Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 2:51am
post #4 of 6

Thanks, but I think I am just gonna order the topper and make half the cake ocean. I am also considering making a small sand dune to make it look more beachy. I am also thinking of "drawing in the sand" the happy retirement message instead of writing it in icing, but not quite sure how I am going to do that yet. Thanks for the help :)

kimmyk2007 Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 3:04am
post #5 of 6

AGood plan! Sand dune would be fun. Don't know what you are doing for sand but I've done crunched up vanilla cookies with a few Oreos and it made good tasting sand on top of fudge frosting. You may be able to use the frosting with sand stuck to it and carve into it to create your message. Or throw a stencil down and vary the color of the "sand" slightly, with a little more texture or go straight for some color applied as a shadow. Good luck

kgorhan Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 6

I was thinking of maybe doing some sanding sugar for the sand, but I just haven't found anything I'm happy with just yet. My husband suggested crushing up rock candy, but I just don't know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%