Why Don't Grocery Store Cakes.....????

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 12 Jun 2013 , 10:32am by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 10:17am
post #1 of 8

Ever have cake blowouts????

Hi Cakers,

I am not talking about filling bulges.  I see them all day long at the grocery store.  I am talking about, icing bulges, cake farts or blowouts.  There are more names for these I am sure.  They are those huge rarely small cake bubbles that form under the icing and eventually blow out causing the icing to break and make your hard work look like crap!

Well, I was thinking, I never have seen one from a grocery store.  They keep them in the fridge case, folks buy them and place them in warm environments, especially down here in the south, but I have never seen a cake blow out on one of them.

What gives??  What are the grocery stores doing that we are not.  Now, just because I have never seen one, don’t mean you have.  It is just that I have been around A LOT of grocery store cakes in the summer and never seen a cake blow out. 

What do you think???

7 replies
Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 11:07am
post #2 of 8

I used to work in the cake department of a local grocery store. There are times that I had some bubbles form in my icing. But that is a very good question. I'll be interested on everyone's reply.

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 8

I've worked in a grocery store bakery for 10 years and you're right, we never see bubbles! I'm going to guess it has to do with the list of 119 ingredients in the icing :)  I'm sure there is some chemical in there that makes it perfect every time.

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 8

AGood question. Makes me wonder too

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 8

When I worked in a bakery, I only ever remember seeing one bubble.  It was on a cake that had been iced straight from the freezer.  Otherwise, we pulled cakes first thing in the morning and they had always come to room temp before we iced them.  hmmmmm

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rica827 

I've worked in a grocery store bakery for 10 years and you're right, we never see bubbles! I'm going to guess it has to do with the list of 119 ingredients in the icing :)  I'm sure there is some chemical in there that makes it perfect every time.

LOL...this is soo true!

Mikel79 Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 8

AI appreciate the feedback!

Mikel79 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 10:32am
post #8 of 8

icon_biggrin.gif Bump. Curious about other feedback....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%