Summer Cake Inspiration

Decorating By forjenns Updated 10 Jun 2013 , 11:14pm by SPCOhio

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 4:44am
post #1 of 3

AI was asked to make a summer theme cake for my cousin and her flight crew. We decided on strawberry & lemon for the cake about an 8". We talked about flip-flops & since I know Hawaii is one of her routes she likes the idea of hibiscus & plumeria however she didn't ask for a beach or Hawaii themed cake.

My ideas are bigger then the cake space I have. I have been digging around for some ideas but am not finding "that one inspiration". I thought maybe someone out there could help pull some of these ideas together.

When I think summer In Seattle (where we live) I think fresh berries, flowers, ice cream cones, beaches/water, butterflies. I would love to try a fondant ruffle cake, or the spatula technique but don't know how to pull it all together or make it all fit on either a square or round cake. See, too many ideas not enough cake. Thanks for the ideas!

Jennifer

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 3

Oh my you DO have too many ideas floating around to come up w/a nice finished cake :)

I think I'd stick to what you discussed w/the client - flip flops and a flower or two.

Yes, you live in a totally different area so that's why you picture the other things but it's what the customer wants that count more.

SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 3

AI made a hibiscus cake for a friend recently with that sort of shabby chic spatula technique. (In my gallery.) It was a simple, but beautiful cake. I think if you concentrate on making really pristine hibiscus and/or plumeria, it will have a good dramatic effect with just these simple elements. Next time I do this cake, I'm going to really work hard on nailing the flowers and clean up my spatula technique a bit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%