Help With Pricing?

Decorating By mbocharski Updated 14 Jun 2013 , 6:26pm by mbocharski

mbocharski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbocharski Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 9

AHey so I made a cake for my friends dad and put a picture online. My husbands aunt now wants me to make it for her friend but I'm torn with what to ask for it. I call it my toffee turtle cake. It's layers of chocolate cake with caramel,toffee,pecan filling covered in chocolate fudge frosting with the extra filling poured on top and drizzled in chocolate. It has a chocolate border with extra pecans on top. I use two 9x1.5" pans and it ends up a little over 4" tall when its filled and decorated. It cost me about 12-15$ to make it. Mostly because a bag of pecans is 5$ alone then the other ingredients. I'm still trying to figure out all the pricing. I'm more of a hobby baker since I'm a stay at home mom. I usually only make cakes if someone asks me which is getting more and more frequent. Also If anyone has a pricing type guide I could use that would be great. I have 2 baby showers I'm suppose to make pregnant belly cakes and cupcakes for in a month or two but I haven't gotten back to them on prices. If anyone could tell me what they would sell the belly cake and 30 cupcakes for that would help me too. I'd like to have a general idea of what people usually charge. Around here the 5 homebakers I called charged 125-175$ for a pregnant belly cake that serves 18-20 .

8 replies
Rhianmcx16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhianmcx16 Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 9

AI'm interested in pricing as well, as I have recently started a informal baking company with my friend (I'm 16) and having been selling custom cakes and cupcakes to my friends and people at school but i'm not sure if I charging enough or too much. I'll check back :smile:

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 9

AThank goodness you are on the right track. I'm glad you have priced the ingredients & done some research about competitors pricing.

I apologize for being the wet blanket. Is it legal for you to sell? Does your state have a cottage food law? If so, do you have a license & insurance? Be sure to include those costs in your pricing.

mbocharski Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 9

AYes it's legal! I Live in Florida and made sure it was legal :). I'm currently trying to find out what type of insurance I need and plan on called around tomorrow. I was told to look for a product liability insurance or something like that. I have no idea how to be licensed. Would that require schooling? And I would have never though to include the cost of insurance in the pricing of cakes. Thank you!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 12:13am
post #5 of 9

ACheck out the pricing formula link in my signature below.

Dawsie12610 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawsie12610 Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 2:16am
post #6 of 9

AI can't find the pricing formula lol

Dawsie12610 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawsie12610 Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 2:17am
post #7 of 9

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

Check out the pricing formula link in my signature below.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbocharski Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 9

AJason, you're amazing and always such a help! Thank you so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%