What To Charge For This Cake

Decorating By johannap_73 Updated 9 Jun 2013 , 8:27pm by jason_kraft

johannap_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johannap_73 Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 7

This is an 8"  3 layer mixed berry ( velvet cake) like red velvet but i had a bit of a play around with the flavors it is boysenberry, raspberry and strawberry  chocolate oils to flavor the cake, it is not a box mix cake i have used a scratch recipe so buttermilk oil sugar flour and eggs go into making this one....i have used buttercream on the cake but not the usual sickly sweet buttercream....it also has vanilla buttercream with real vanilla bean paste in the buttercream.... i would really like some help as to what to charge for this, as im finding a lot of people in my town are either tight as a fishes you know what or my price is a bit high....please help what would you charge for this type of cake

my buttercream is a cooked flour and milk base then butter and caster sugar is whipped and then the milk and flour base is added to form a smooth not toooooo sweet buttercream......

your help is much appreciated

6 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 7

I would charge $85, due to the number of servings and based on what my personal ingredients cost would be (about $40)   If it were a larger cake I would charge much more, but a cake that size serves 20 or so, giving you a cost of $4.25/ serving.

CreationsbyNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreationsbyNicole Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

I would charge $85, due to the number of servings and based on what my personal ingredients cost would be (about $40)   If it were a larger cake I would charge much more, but a cake that size serves 20 or so, giving you a cost of $4.25/ serving.

I agree with Norasmom.  $85 or so sounds about right. 

Have you looked into the Cake Boss software?  It really is awesome!  I have found that what I had been charging early on was barely even covering my cost.  Check it out, its worth the investment. 

johannap_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johannap_73 Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 7

thankyou, that is roughly what i was thinking..... $ 80.00 

and i had someone question my price.....

she said she didnt pay that much for a slab cake and she then proceeded to tell me how much cake they had left over...( i was thinking cause the cake tasted like junk that is y there was so much left over)

so im on the right path with this type of cake...i was thinking around the $10.00 per inch so an 6"inch is $60 

8" is $80 and a 10" $ 100.00 

but that is just for like red velvet type cakes...as that is the base that i use ( scratch when im talking base mix) i use a red velvet cake recipe but just omit the coloring and the cocoa...and then go to town with different flavors and oils...omg the orange is to die for.... thanks again

bethugolini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethugolini Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 7

AI was wondering what would be a reasonable price to charge for this cake. The bottom one is a 12"x3" high & the top one is 10"x3"

bethugolini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethugolini Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for your help Marion....your cakes are amazing !!!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 7

ACheck out the link in my signature for an article about pricing cakes, including a pricing formula.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%