Colouring Fondant

Decorating By gem3110 Updated 7 Jun 2013 , 10:31pm by jelenanicholas

gem3110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gem3110 Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 2

AHi, I very rarely use fondant in my cake decorations apart from making flowers and leaves etc but they always break. Firstly, can I ask what people use instead so that they don't break as easily. Also, what do people colour them with. I have been using sugarflair gel colours but makes it sticky. What's the best food colouring dust.

I am in the UK so may have different things to you lovely guys elsewhere. :) Thanks in advance

1 reply
jelenanicholas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelenanicholas Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 2

AHi Hun, I always use gum paste mix when making flowers, it dries faster and is not as brittle. My personal preference is half gum paste mixed with half fondant. That's the ratio I like, as the fondant softens the gumpaste and it dries a little slower, giving me more time to work. I use americolour gel pastes and always colour the gum paste then mix in the fondant. When I am using intricate cutters I use straight gumpaste as its a lot stiffer. I use Petal Crafts wafer petal dust which is a compressed dust and are very convenient. I don't have to worry about tipping my pots over which I have done before, oops! I have some great dusts from Caroline's sugar art services, which I get online. It's a south Australian company so not sure if she ships over seas. I also use Barco dust. Everyone has their own favourites.

Like all things in life, its all comes down to personal preference and trial and error :-)

Good luck and best wishes from Perth, west Australia. ;-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%