Baking Powder / Baking Soda??

Decorating By bonbon desserts Updated 8 Jun 2013 , 7:17am by Relznik

bonbon desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonbon desserts Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone, Happy Friday!

So I have got a little cake business thing going here. and I must admit I am new to this and  I hope to understand the fundamentals of baking so that one day I wont need to read from recipes.

My question is what is the difference of baking soda and baking powder? and why in some recipes do not require both? 

I have this recipe that I use for chocolate cupcakes and they always turn out flat. How do you get those nice domes on cupcakes. I have a 70 cupcake order for 4th of July. oh and while I'm on here, there is one more question for you nice people. I have colored my buttercream once a very dark deep purple and the color was so runny. well it was like it was separating from the buttercream.  Now here  I need to make red, white and blue cupcake frosting, I wont have to worry about the white I know I can manage that lol.

aghhh so many questions hope some good soul can help me today so I can stop all this worrying tonight

thank you, christineicon_smile.gif  

6 replies
cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 7

AHi there : ) sorry I can't answer your question about the baking powder/ soda but for the buttercream add a tiny bit of gel colouring,any other colouring it just seems to go funny. Americolor gels are the best for this HTH

bonbon desserts Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 7

hi thank you for responding.

so if I needed to make like a deep red if I use this americolor stuff I would just need a little?

because I know with the wilton colors in order to get bold colors you have to use quite a bit and I for 4th of July you know you have to use those bold colors. I have seen some pictures online of these great bold color frosting on these cupcakes and I am just wondering how do they do that?

Omas Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omas Cakes Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 7

ATry this link for your baking powder/soda question: http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodchemistry/f/blbaking.htm HTH

bonbon desserts Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 1:22am
post #5 of 7

AThanks for that link it was totally informative :)

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 4:56am
post #6 of 7

AYep u just need a little, the colours are really vibrant so just add a touch and build up the colour as needed : )

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 7:17am
post #7 of 7

In the UK, we call baking soda 'bicarbonate of soda'. 

And baking powder is baking powder! 

You add baking powder to plain flour to make it rise (self-raising flour already has a raising agent in).

Bicarb (as it's referred to) is also used as a raising agent, but it needs something acid to make it work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%