Horizontal Strip???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 9 Jun 2013 , 12:01pm by DeliciousDesserts

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 11

AHi cakers!

What is the secret?!

Buttercream iced round cake.

I want to place a horizontal fondant strip directlly around the middle of the cake. I want it 100% straight and even. I can't do it!

I have seen countles bc iced cakes, especially tierd cakes, with a horizontal strip that is so straight and even!

How is it done?

;-)

10 replies
Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 12:11am
post #3 of 11

AMark exactly where it needs to go. Either use a ruler/tape or Wilton makes a tool to use for marking.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 12:14am
post #4 of 11

There's a great class available on Craftsy by Jessica Harris that you should check out. She has a great wax paper method for applying horizontal stripes.

Mikel79 Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks for the input!

=)

SourLemonz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SourLemonz Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 11

AI definitely recommend the Crafty class by Jessica Harris! Her wax paper method is so simple, but I never would have thought of it. :)

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 11

If you use a crusting buttercream, you simply apply a double strip around the cake and remove the bottom strip.

If I wanted a 1 inch strip placed 2 inches above the bottom, I would first cut a 3 inch strip.  Then cut it into a 2inch and a 3inch piece without separating them.  Wrap them around the cake together and pull the lower strip away.  It works best if you use a piece of parchment to move the fondant.

Mikel79 Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 12:19am
post #8 of 11

A

Original message sent by matthewkyrankelly

If you use a crusting buttercream, you simply apply a double strip around the cake and remove the bottom strip.

If I wanted a 1 inch strip placed 2 inches above the bottom, I would first cut a 3 inch strip.  Then cut it into a 2inch and a 3inch piece without separating them.  Wrap them around the cake together and pull the lower strip away.  It works best if you use a piece of parchment to move the fondant.

How are removing the fondant withoutt messing with the icing? I use a crusting bc, but aplplying the amount of fondant suggested then removing sounds like it might mess witth the icing? Not sure how the parchment plays, can u elaborate? Thanks for the input.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 3:38am
post #9 of 11

Buy a hemmer from the 2$ shop. it has markings on it with a a piece protruding. set it to the desired height and run it along the cake, gently.  cut yr strip of fondant, dust with corn starch on top, so that it wont adhere, and lightly roll it. place it on the line that you have marked on the cake (start from the rear) and gently unroll   it along theline and press on to the cake (before unrolling, wet a paint brush and run along the marking)

Mikel79 Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 11:57am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzied 

Buy a hemmer from the 2$ shop. it has markings on it with a a piece protruding. set it to the desired height and run it along the cake, gently.  cut yr strip of fondant, dust with corn starch on top, so that it wont adhere, and lightly roll it. place it on the line that you have marked on the cake (start from the rear) and gently unroll   it along theline and press on to the cake (before unrolling, wet a paint brush and run along the marking)

icon_biggrin.gif

Thx!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 12:01pm
post #11 of 11

A

Original message sent by suzied

Buy a hemmer from the 2$ shop.

LOVE my hemmer! I also use it for measuring length of legs for SPS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%