Black Buttercream Zebra Print On A White Cake

Decorating By koneal84 Updated 8 Jun 2013 , 2:12pm by koneal84

koneal84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koneal84 Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 11:28am
post #1 of 8

ASomeone is wanting a cake with zebra print. The person wants no fondant so I was thinking of putting buttercream on the cake for the zebra print. I am needing some insite as to how to get it on there and have it be smooth and pretty. I didn't know if I needed to paint the buttercream on, which I don't know if you can do, or just pipe it on. I told the person I'm not sure if I can put buttercream it maybe fondant. I know you can also paint with colors mixed with water but have never done that will have to try that also. I'm not sure of the best thing for me to do. :smile:

7 replies
punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 8

I have done fondant on buttercream with success and it looks better than stripes out of buttercream I think. If you want to do the stripes out of buttercream, I would pipe the stripes and let the buttercream crust. Take a Viva paper towel and smooth. I did a camouflage cake and this works well. I just think the fondant stripes look better. I know how it is when people do not like fondant but they want a cake to look like it's decorated in fondant. There is a definite difference! Also, (don't know if this happens to you) if I put a cake that has black buttercream over white buttercream in the fridge, the black seems to bleed a little. I would not refrigerate unless you have something in the cake that needs to be refrigerated. Good Luck!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 12:53am
post #3 of 8

I cut my stripes from fondant. I wish I had known about stenciling at this time. Another cool idea is I dyed the batter pink and black and used the zebra stripe method when baking it. The girl was so surprised and loved it!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 1:10am
post #4 of 8

Try stencilling if you want all buttercream.

koneal84 Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 3:15am
post #5 of 8

AHow do I stencil a zebra print?

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 3:18am
post #6 of 8

Well you can either order a stencil or you can buy an exacto knife and a blank stencil from a craft store..place a zebra print behind it and cut out the stripes...watch some tutorials on youtube on stenciling. You can either stencil with powdered food coloring or luster dust, buttercream or royal icing

cakebaker21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker21 Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 8

AI had a customer who wanted an all buttercream cake with zebra print. I used a tip 4 to pipe them on ans smoothed them with viva

koneal84 Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 8

AThank you for all the help. This cake is going to be an 11x15 and the zebra will go over the top a little bit to make a border on the top in the center kinda of the cake. I will do a practice run and use a tip 4 then viva. If that doesn't work then will try the stencil but not sure how it will work since I will have to go up over and onto of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%