My Gumpaste Isn't Drying Correctly

Decorating By Carmichael Updated 10 Jun 2013 , 4:54am by Carmichael

Carmichael Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carmichael Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 2:09am
post #1 of 4

Im new to gum paste, I'm using Wiltons Gum Tex and the recipe on the back of the can. I tried making some roses out of the gum paste, but the problem I'm having is that when the gum paste starts to dry and when I work on adding more petals its impossible to work with because the dried petals start to crumble into like sawdust. Now is that how gum paste is supposed to dry like? I'd appreciate any help or ideas to solve the problem. Or if there's a recipe that anyone has using gum tex that works really well.

3 replies
cakestomuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestomuch Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 4

The gum paste should not crumble. Maybe there is to much gum tex.

I have never used gum tex, but you might want to mix the gum paste with some fondant. Maybe a 50/50 or a 75 gum paste and 25 fondant. The more fondant the longer it will take to dry.

canacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canacake Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 4

AI use the same recipe and have not had that problem. Are you kneeding the dough until it is soft and pliable the morning after you make it? It is quite runny when first made but firms up overnight and is crumbly before you work it until soft. I usually work in half the icing sugar it calks for while kneeding it. I find that a whole additional cup is a lot and depending on humidity, it doesn't always need it. You can always try less powdered sugar and work in more if it's to sticky. Some people also find corn starch dries out the paste when working with it causing cracking, try using just powdered sugar to prevent sticking. Hope that helps.

Carmichael Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carmichael Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 4:54am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both, I made another batch and used less powdered sugar and came out great. I also did the 50/50 and it also worked great, it does take a little longer to dry, but I dont care as long as it comes out right lol. Thank you both, really appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%