3 Cakes Due Saturday All Butter Cream...can I Crumb Coat Thursday...?

Decorating By chillpdx Updated 13 Jun 2013 , 12:19am by AZCouture

chillpdx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillpdx Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 17

ones a 3 tier wedding cake, ones a half sheet graduation cake and the last is a small marble birthday cake. All due sat. 

Can i put the jam filling in and crumb coat tonight and leave on counter and Ice and decorate tomorrow Or should I wait and do them all (crumbcoat, ice and decorate) tomorrow (Friday)....

I have read several threads that people don't like the fridge... I am trying to avoid it (dont want dry cakes).

advise?

sure appreciate it!

Crystalicon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
Texan Aunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texan Aunt Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 17

As long as there is not any exposed cake putting it in the fridge should be fine. I have never had problems with my cakes in the fridge. If you are really worried about the cake drying out though you could just cover it top and bottom with plastic wrap.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 17

AI've read that if the cake is properly covered (in BC, ganache, or fondant) it should not dry out in the fridge.

chillpdx Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 17

thanks guys. so i could probably be safe to crumb coat and ice tonight then and decorate tomorrow for sat deliveries? and still be ok?

really appreciate the help! icon_biggrin.gif

maddy1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddy1977 Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 17

I have filled and crumb coat on Thursday cakes that are due Saturday with no problem. I had left them out on the counter inside a cake carrier with no problem as long as the filling or icing don't need to be refrigerated.

I think the cake tastes better after a couple of days of being baked and ice. :)

chillpdx Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 17

so if I dont have a cake carrier large enough for the half sheet or tall enough for the tiered cake (ill stack 2 and save top for at wedding to stack it) would i be better of in fridge or leaving it out would you think?

Thaks again!

Crystal

maddy1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddy1977 Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 17

I would leave it out the fridge as long as the icing and filling doesn't need refrigeration and you don't really have to cover them with anything, just leave on counter...I do it all the time with no problem. I wouldn't cover it if you want it to crust too. You can decorate anytime on Friday and leave out as well. I do it all the time with no problem, I just leave out on top of my dinning table or counter, just make sure that it's not hot or humid and that the filling or icing doesn't need refrigeration. :)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 17

Fine at room temp.

chillpdx Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 17

i'll post pictures friday! THanks guys for making me feel better!

This is my first graduation and First wedding cake, and lucky me they both want done saturday!

Wish me luck! good thing they are family and friends or I'd really be stressing right now! I have the cakes them selves in freezer all wrapped tight ready to go!

Crystal

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 12:16am
post #10 of 17

95% of my 1000s of cakes are b'cream so I have plenty of experience. :)

Any cake that does not have a perishable filling can be crumb coated and left at room temp for up to 3 days.  Just make *sure!* you completely cover that cake.  One way to do that is to warm your b'cream/crumb coat - I microwave about 1/4 to 1/3 cup at a time for about 10 seconds thenpour it on the cake & spread it very quickly.  It will cover the cake like a glazed donut.

This being Thursday, you certainly can crumb coat, leave on thecounter and decorate on Sat.  Just think though, the customer will have only 1 to 3 days to consume that cake and still have it 'fresh' and tasty.  In other words, the longer you have it sitting around the lesstime the customer has.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 12:26am
post #11 of 17

it won't dry out in the fridge if your recipe is (here comes the hated word) MOIST lol

chillpdx Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 9:25pm
post #12 of 17

Thaks for all the insite. I feel like something odd happened. I crumvoated then final coated and left to a hockey game for 3 hrs. When i got home the middles were buldging out!! I have never had this happen before... uggh any ideas? Irecovered most by refirgerating and then re shaping but i also had an air pocket arise under buttercream on the hop of one as well... hous was about 72 degrees. was a hot weekend had A/C running....

sorry for side ways pics! not sure how

to fix it on this site from computer.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 1:45am
post #13 of 17

This is a common problem many decorators fight :(

Just take a pin poke a hole in the icing and push the air out.

There have been many, many ideas as to what causes the problem & how to advoid it but I am not convienced any ONE is the exact answer. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 1:54am
post #14 of 17

It's definitely an American bc/shortening problem though. The last time I had a piece of cake with that type of icing, it practically peeled off, like it wasn't attached to the cake very well at all. And for the short time I used shortening based icing way back when, I remember it didn't adhere to the cake very well. One more reason I love using meringue icings, cause that never ever happens. Bulging either. 

Deb2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb2013 Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 6:54am
post #15 of 17

This cake is the inspiration for the one I'll be making. 

Like Crystal, I'll be delivering the cake this Saturday (my niece's 1st baby!) and wondering if I can bake on Thursday and ice as well. I was planning to use buttercream frosting, and then covering with fondant (using 9" pan / six, 1" layers, w/board between layer #3 & #4).

Rain is in the forecast for the entire week and it's about 70 degrees in the house. Will the humidity be a problem with the gum paste / piping decorations, or fondant do you think? Should I keep the cake in the fridge when completed? 

Thanks for your help!

Deb

chillpdx Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 10:29pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

It's definitely an American bc/shortening problem though. The last time I had a piece of cake with that type of icing, it practically peeled off, like it wasn't attached to the cake very well at all. And for the short time I used shortening based icing way back when, I remember it didn't adhere to the cake very well. One more reason I love using meringue icings, cause that never ever happens. Bulging either. 

THank you! would you be willing to share a receipe?

Crystal

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 12:19am
post #17 of 17

AI'm on phone, so just google fromscratchsf swiss meringue and you'll find some great help. Must be refrigerated though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%