Paperfishies Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 6:09pm
post #1 of

Does anyone have a good chocolate cake recipe that will produce cupcakes that dome?

I LOVE the epicurious recipe for chocolate cake but in cupcake form, they are always super, super flat.  Same with the Hershey's chocolate cake recipe.

6 replies
manddi Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 8:28pm
post #2 of

AWhat temp are you baking them at? When I do cupcakes I start baking at 350 then lower the temp to 325.

MimiFix Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 9:38pm
post #3 of

Yes, start cupcakes at a higher temp if you want them to dome. Lower temp after 5-10 minutes. I start at 375 F and reduce to 350 F.

Paperfishies Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 3:36pm
post #4 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

What temp are you baking them at? When I do cupcakes I start baking at 350 then lower the temp to 325.

I always start at 400 degrees, put the cupcakes in, wait 2 minutes, then drop the temp down to 350.

Every recipe I use domes perfectly...Except the chocolate cupcakes, they are ALWAYS flat, it's driving me insane.

sewlo Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 6:03pm
post #5 of

I always make my cupcakes my creaming the eggs and sugar, then adding the melted milk/butter, flavorings, and then the flour mixture.  I let the eggs and sugar cream for quite a while, until they are pale and fluffy.  That and mixing my completed batter for a minute on high has really helping with my cupcakes doming!  My lemon blueberry cupcakes last week were PERFECT!

Paperfishies Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 8:00pm
post #6 of

Thanks ladies for the suggestions!!!!  Yall are awesome!

I ended up using buttermilk in the recipe instead of whole milk and the chocolate cupcakes domed perfectly!  They were gorgeous!!

9527ima Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 9:00am
post #7 of

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Yes, start cupcakes at a higher temp if you want them to dome. Lower temp after 5-10 minutes. I start at 375 F and reduce to 350 F.
The cupcakes  tastes good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%