How Do You Transport Your Cakes?

Decorating By cakeroo57 Updated 6 Jun 2013 , 8:40pm by cupadeecakes

cakeroo57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroo57 Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 3

Hey to all I have a wedding this Saturday and was wondering How you transport your cakes. Its a 3tier and its going to be very hot there , So my question is, If I stack at least 2 of the cakes would it be fresh If I stored it inside a tote?? Since I dont have to have it there until 6pm. I will leave it stacked until I get to the venue which is calling for 80+ deg weather, And its a 14in bottom I want to get it all iced and done before I get to the venue and all I will do then is add the 3rd tier, Im just wondering if storing it in a tote will it taste like plastic?? How do you all store and transport your cakes for a wedding:) Thanks

2 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 3

I transport 3 tiers stacked, no problem.  Use a corrugated cardboard box, you can buy them in all sizes from Home Depot or Lowes for very cheap.  Then cut one side of the box so the side can completely open down (think reverse garage door), slide your cake in - use a non slip mat under the cake if the cake base is smaller than the box, also use a non slip mat on the flat floor of your vehicle during transport.  Please be sure the box is on a flat floor of the car, not the seat or a lap.  

If you have SPS, I recommend that for stacking, otherwise, use large hollow plastic dowels to support each tier (make sure the dowels are each cut to exactly the same size), have each tier on double layer of cardboard (glue 2 cardboards together, with the corrugated lines of each cardboard going in alternating directions) and drive a sharpened center dowel thru all 3 tiers and into the base.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 3

I transport all of my cakes stacked as long as they will fit in the back of my vehicle (31" clearance) so it's not uncommon for me to travel with 4, 5, or even 6 tier cakes.  I use bubble tea straws for support and always use a center dowel rod for anything 2+ tiers.  If my cake board fits in a box, I put it in one.  If if doesn't, it doesn't get one.  I put it on the rubber bumpy non-skid shelf liner so that it doesn't slide.

As far as storage, I store all my cakes in the fridge until delivery time, but once they're on the road it's just the car's AC keeping it cool, which I do run on MAX.  I'm not sure what a tote is, but I don't think you need it to ensure the freshness of your cake.  The buttercream/fondant is going to keep air out, which is what dries the cake out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%