Creating Free Cakes

Decorating By ilvcpks Updated 6 Jun 2013 , 4:56am by AZCouture

ilvcpks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilvcpks Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 2:36am
post #1 of 5

So I have a question for all of you bakers.    Our Goddaughters Mother asked me two months ago to make her a very intricate two tiered hello kitty birthday cake.  I agreed.   Throughout the two month time span, I would send her texts about size, flavors, etc.  We never received a formal invitation for the party.  I had to text her to see what time the party was and where it was being held.  I shopped for all the ingredients, etc. that I needed.  Two days ago, I told her the costs of the cake would be $130 but I would do it for her for $100.  She told me she couldn't afford the cake and cancelled the entire order even after I told her that I already purchased everything.  

My husband thinks that I am over-reacting.  I told him that this is my business and it's not FREE.  I told him that I didn't feel comfortable going to the birthday party.  He thinks I am being silly and should just forget it.    Thoughts, comments??????     HELP!!!

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 3:00am
post #2 of 5

AIf the customer never agreed to a price for the order, there was no order to begin with.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 3:05am
post #3 of 5

I have to agree with Jason. You should've sent her an invoice with the cost months ago, when it was ordered. I would go to the party, smile and snicker behind my hand when you see what she wound up with after she refused your cake. She may just get it after she sees what her dollar gets her. Don't say a word. Not one!

allycrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycrumbs Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 3:18am
post #4 of 5

I never buy anything specific to an order until I get a 50% deposit from the customer. You'd just have to take this as a learning experience, unfortunately.

Agree with Anna, not a word about the cake at the party.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 4:56am
post #5 of 5

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

If the customer never agreed to a price for the order, there was no order to begin with.

This. Plain and simple. If you are a business you should treat all orders the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%