Ways To Get More Traffic To My Website And Facebook Page..

Business By CakersbyEggers Updated 7 Jun 2013 , 2:51am by SystemMod1

CakersbyEggers Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 1:55am
post #1 of 12

I need some help. My facebook page first launched and seemed to do pretty well. That was about 2 months ago. However, I am not getting a lot of business and very few inquiries. I am really having a hard time getting anyone to like my facebook page or look at my website. Do any of you have suggestions? I am just a small in home bakery, but I would like to be doing more than I am right now. I would really appreciate any advice you have. If you would like to look my facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/megan.crouse.520?ref=tn_tnmn

Thanks in advance for your help!

11 replies
costumeczar Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 2:39am
post #2 of 12

Don't worry about your likes on facebook unless they're all actual customers. People focus too much on that number, but from what I've seen from most decorators' facebook pages, it's mostly other decorators who are liking them, so those aren't your customers. You can have ten thousand likes, but if they're all people who wouldn't buy from you anyway then what's the point for your business?

I'd worry more about getting actual business through referrals and getting to know businesses in your area who can send clients to you. You should also get more photos of cakes on your website gallery. Make some dummies and take photos if you don't have orders, but you need more photos. You should also finish the pricing page on your website.

Here's an article I wrote about increasing your local reach, but if you go to my blog and do a search for Facebook more articles will come up. But please don't focus so much on facebook that you ignore your website, that's a mistake! http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-increase-your-facebook-local.html

jason_kraft Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 2:59am
post #3 of 12

AWho is your target market? What are your competitive advantages? What is your advertising strategy?

If I were you I would focus on fleshing out your web site and using SEO to drive traffic there.

tdovewings Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 3:23am
post #4 of 12

Aside from what's already been said. You need to reference where you are located (not a complete address) and what geographic locations you serve. 

denetteb Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 3:26am
post #5 of 12

I don't have marketing suggestions but a couple of comments on your website.  Definitely need more pictures to show what you are capable of.  And work on the quality of pictures.  The kitchen, oven, other distracting backgrounds detract from the cakes.  There have been a number of threads on photographing cakes on cake central that you could look up to get some suggestions to improve them in the future.  I always like to see somewhere on a website what city the business is located so I know if it is in my area.  As I did a quick skim I didn't notice any obvious spelling problems so that is good.  I took a quick look at  your FB site too.   Same thing, too few pics to see your work, not a lot of info there either.  Right now if I was to find your website and facebook site it would leave me probably moving on to a more experienced baker unless I was looking for an inexpensive (since that is emphasized on your home  page) more simple cake (since there aren't many examples to see much work).  I would suggest improving the sites before trying to get more traffic to them.  Just my 2 cents as a consumer.  One idea may be to go to more bakers websites and FB sites and see they types of things they are posting and sharing and have on their sites.  Not to copy of course but to beef up your sites with more information.

Thetrafficguy Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 6:02am
post #6 of 12

It sounds like you are on the right track, but you just need more organic traffic from the search engines like google. I can help you get more traffic, and rank on page 1 of google for your keywords, so people find you when they do a search. I use a very powerful blogging platform that google considered and authority site, and content posted from this platform is indexed and ranked very quickly. I rank at least 70% of my blog posts on page 1 of google for the keywords I am trying to rank for. Here is a link to check it out http://goo.gl/7O4Rv. Its only $25 per month, and I guarantee you will get alot more traffic to your website. If you do a search for "generate organic traffic from google", you will find my blog on page 1, which has a thumbnail image of my Fiance kissing me on the cheek, and it should say "Chris Mitchell's blog.  You can also search the term "AAA towing alternative", as well as many other terms, and you will find me on page 1. I hope this helps :)

Pyro Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 9:18am
post #7 of 12

I just wanted to say the facebook in your post is not the same that's on your website. It's your personal one ( with the pictures of your kids ).

Edit: Where do you live, what area are you selling cakes in ? Your website doesn't say that.

MimiFix Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 12

Hello Megan - starting out always takes time and effort. Best of luck to you! Just a suggestion: you need to look at everything with fresh eyes - as if you were a customer assessing a business. Sorry, but the Congratulations Connor cake is not the best example of your writing. And the Mother's Day cake photo shows your feet, which I don't think is appetizing. Please consider changing or updating both photos.

j92383 Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 12

Since everyone has commented already on your website there is no need for me to add more so I'll just say one thing about your facebook page. Your personal and your business page should be to separate pages. It come off as more professional and less like a someone displaying cakes that are part of family events.  

CakersbyEggers Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 1:53am
post #10 of 12

Thank you all for your replies. I have more pictures. My husband is building my website for me and he has been slow about helping me get pictures up. I agree that my pictures are not taken well. However, I am not sure how to edit them. I agree with most of what you are saying. I have been trying to figure out my facebook page, because when I signed up for the business one (I have a separate personal one) Facebook wouldn't let me have a business one without linking it to a personal one. I cannot figure out how to change my name to my business name either. I am actually really frustrated with that page. I am located in Iowa for anyone who wanted to know. I will add that to my website. My husband put the "cheaper than other bakeries" part in there and I got angry with him. I need to remove it, thank you for that feedback as well. I appreciate you all taking the time to give me constructive feedback. I am just starting out, so feedback helps.

SystemMod1 Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 2:51am
post #11 of 12

These types of posts are not allowed.  Please flag in the future.

SystemMod1 Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 2:51am
post #12 of 12

Correction - THREADS, not posts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%