Which Cake Type Do I Use For Fondant?

Decorating By whiteangel Updated 6 Jun 2013 , 2:07am by whiteangel

whiteangel Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 8

Making a 5 tiered sweet 16 birthday for my daughter in a few months.  In the past I have had cakes 'cave' when using fondant.  Was never a big deal before as it was usually for smaller groups.  This coming party will be for over 100 guests. 

Will the WASC type cakes work best or do I need to stick with sponge cakes?  Could you also link the recipes you use for this? 

I make my own marshmallow fondant.  This will be made a few days before hand so that I can then focus on party preps. 

Any and all help, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!!

7 replies
shanter Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 8

If your cake that caved was just two layers (one tier), I'm not sure why. I know that cakes cave because they have a heavy weight on top of them without support; it's not necessarily the fondant. Many, many multi-tier cakes are made with fondant covering every tier. You didn't say if you used any supports. For layered cakes, you need to dowel every tier (except the top one) and put the next tier on a cardboard cake circle. The dowels (not the cake) support the upper cake tier.

There is also the Single Plate Separator system. See

You can also google "how to stack a tiered cake."

If you already know this stuff, I apologize for being pedantic.

WASC will work fine for a tiered, fondant-covered cake, as will a lot of other types of cake.

whiteangel Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 8

Should have been a little more clear. 

This happens on the layers, not the stacking as I support those well.  This is from the weight of the fondant and all the fondant decorations only. 

Here is what I have used in the past and copied from my file, not sure where I got it originally:

Quote:
This next one is my favourite, I add butter instead of oil as per the note within the recipe.
auzzi From the Wilton Site's Extendacake Pound Cake

1 pkg of any kind of cake mix to which you add all of the ingredients called for on the box
In addition:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup Crisco oil - she substitutes 1/2 cup softened butter instead and so did I - wonderful!
2/3 cup water

I beat the butter, then added all of the ingredients the cake mix called for and then all of the other ingredients. Then I blended on low for 1 minute, then 2 minutes on medium, scraping the bowl down. Generally, cook at 325F for the larger cakes, 350F for smaller and you will need to add baking time, perhaps about 10-15 minutes to the times given on the cake mix box. I checked every 5 minutes or so over the cake mix times. Also a wonderful cake. You will get about 6 1/2 cups of batter from this recipe.

Then I let cool overnight, wrap and place in the freezer if not using right away.  In the freezer before frozen, a place a wooden board on each top, to help squish a little so they are more compact.

Fill and put a thin butter cream icing, then put the fondant on.  Between all tiers I support with 4 to 8 wooden dowels (I think they are 1/4 or 1/2") and cardboard cake plates that I cover in waxed paper to keep the cardboard from absorbing too much moisture and weakening the cardboard support.  This time I might be using the Wilton plastic cake separators instead.

It is the fondant that is too heavy for the cake.  Hope this helps in helping me. icon_biggrin.gif

whiteangel Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 8

I was thinking of using this recipe this time - do you think it will be okay?  It is the basic WASC, just have never used it yet. 

White Almond Sour Cream Cake
2 boxes white cake mix (I prefer Duncan Hines)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
2 2/3 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp real vanilla
1 tsp almond extract (optional)
2 cups (16 oz) sour cream
8 large egg whites

shanter Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 12:21am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteangel 

I was thinking of using this recipe this time - do you think it will be okay?  It is the basic WASC, just have never used it yet. 

White Almond Sour Cream Cake
2 boxes white cake mix (I prefer Duncan Hines)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
2 2/3 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp real vanilla
1 tsp almond extract (optional)
2 cups (16 oz) sour cream
8 large egg whites

That's the one I use. It probably was the weight of the fondant and fondant figures. I've never tried to put several/numerous heavy fondant objects on a cake. There are others here with more experience. I hope they will chime in.

whiteangel Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 12:34am
post #6 of 8

I hope others will chime in also.  Though the cake isn't due for several months, I am one of those that do not makes fancy cakes more than a few times a year.  This I did with just dummy cakes and it will be the shape of her real cake, except for the bottom tier which will probably be dummy as that would be too much real cake.

photo _DSC0600.jpg

shanter Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 1:49am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteangel 

I hope others will chime in also.  Though the cake isn't due for several months, I am one of those that do not makes fancy cakes more than a few times a year.  This I did with just dummy cakes and it will be the shape of her real cake, except for the bottom tier which will probably be dummy as that would be too much real cake.

That cake is fabulous! Your skills are a lot better than mine, but I keep practicing.

whiteangel Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 2:07am
post #8 of 8

Thank you hon.  It was "suppose" to be my daughter's 8th grade project.  She helped, sorta, lol. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%