How Much Would You Charge To Make Just The Flowers On This Cake?

Decorating By doramoreno62 Updated 6 Jun 2013 , 1:31am by doramoreno62

doramoreno62 Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 7

They would be made from gumpaste with a sugar pearl or dragee in the center. They will be going on a 3 tier cake, sizes 7", 10" and 12"

I have never made a cake with so many flowers and I am a bit lost on what to charge for the flowers only.

Thanks in advance for any answers I recieve.

6 replies
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 7

ABeautiful! How long do you estimate it will take you to make them, and what is your time worth to you?

Annabakescakes Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 7

AIf I was doing them, I would estimate about 113" (7" top, 7" bottom, 10" bottom and 14" bottom of each tiermultiplied by pi) of flowers, times each of the type of flowers. That will more than account for breakage, and have more than enough though. So if your small flower is .25" then you would need 452. If you have a larger one that is a half inch, you will need 221 of them. If you have a micro flower that is an 8th of an inch, you will need 900 to go all the way around each tier. Maybe they don't go all the way around, determine if you only need 1 or 2 or 3 per inch, multiply by 113.

doramoreno62 Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 7

Annabakes cakes you are a genius for figuring that out! Lol, seriously, I had figured about approximately 1000 flowers. Of course I value my time but since the cake isn't due until the end of October, I figured I could whip up about 200 to 250 or more per week. This sort of makes it difficult for me to estimate how much time it will take me to complete them. I guess I have to see how many I can make in an hour or so then do the math.

How much would you charge?

LKing12 Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 7

Be careful about the color that you use.  Some darker colors fade.  I am sure that you might need to put your finished ones in a darkened container so the color stays true.

Annabakescakes Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 7

AWhooo... I am seriously bad at pricing for the first time I do something.... I learn my lesson for the second time though!

The tiny flowers that just get popped out of the cutter and a dot of royal in the middle would probably take about 2 hours. I would do half in pink and half in white, but it doesn't look like there would be enough to go totally around the cake, (if you arranged them into a line)

I figure that each flower will proportionately take about the same amount of time to make and inch worth, since the tiny ones are super quick, but the larger ones need a bit of shaping... So estimate 2 hours for each size/type so maybe 10 hours? 150 bucks? I actually charge less per hour for "mindless" work that I can watch TV through, and a premium for full concentration, like piping.

doramoreno62 Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 1:31am
post #7 of 7

Thanks LKing12, that's a great tip!

Ann, thats about what I figured. Thanks for your awesome info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%