Is It Copyright Infringement To Recreate Vehicles?

Business By HiLine Cakes Updated 17 Jun 2013 , 10:16am by Evoir

HiLine Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HiLine Cakes Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 6

I have had a request for a Big Bud tractor cake. Should I have the customer contact the company for permission before I make this, or is that not necessary? 

http://image.dieselpowermag.com/f/features/1103dp_big_bud_the_worlds_largest_farm_tractor/35724717/1103dp_01_o%2B1103dp_big_bud_the_worlds_largest_farm_tractor%2Bfront_side_shot.jpg

5 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 6

AIf you will be duplicating the design exactly or using the logo you should have the customer get permission.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 2:48am
post #3 of 6

I just wouldn't use the logo. I've rarely seen any car or vehicle cakes that are so totally identifiable that they'd be considered infringement.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 6

AIf they want the logo, have the customer contact the company to ask for permission - it doesn't appear to be a big company so there's a good chance your customer has a contact there already who will be happy to sign off on it. They can blame it on you if Big Bud thinks its a crazy request!

HiLine Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HiLine Cakes Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 7:36am
post #5 of 6

ACustomer asked and received permission. :)

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 10:16am
post #6 of 6

AThis is a great lesson for everyone who has ever worried about asking for permission from the copyright/IP owner! It's worth a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%