Baking Issues!

Decorating By lsmithbendor Updated 6 Jun 2013 , 4:31pm by lsmithbendor

lsmithbendor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsmithbendor Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 2

I don't know if I've selected the correct forum - if I haven't I apologize.

I'm having baking problems.

I typically use the standard enhanced cake mix recipe (add sour cream, flour, sugar, extra egg on top of box ingredients). For awhile this worked wonderfully. Lately, less and less is turning out right and I'm about to tear my hair out! I have to start on the cuppies for my daughter's grad party today and I'm dreading it.

Cuppies or cakes:  Don't rise well, no dome - ever, regardless of trying the temperature tricks I've read about. Difficulty getting cuppies/cakes done in center without being over done on outside.

I've tested my oven temp, it is correct. I've tried filling pans more and less, I've scrupulously followed the recipe(s). Tried new recipies.

I'm wondering if the recipe I'm using is based on the former cake box weights (about 514 gm)  that have been pared down (now 480 or less). I also live at 3500 ft altitude, tho this has never been an issue before.

i'm stumped, I'm stressed out about not being happy with the results of something that worked pretty fine a year ago!

Thoughts?

1 reply
lsmithbendor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsmithbendor Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 2

Interestingly, I accidentally solved my own problem!

I ran out of sour cream and in a desperate attempt to keep moving forward without breaking for a run to the store, I substituted 1 cup buttermilk for the 1 cup sour cream in the recepe. Everything else was the same and...

beautifully domed cupcakes. Domed cupcakes like I've never had before! The cuppies were a bit dryer than usual and perhaps not quite a sweet, but since there's quite a dollop of icing on them, they seem to fit the bill.

:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%