Lorann's New Emulsions

Decorating By vgcea Updated 5 Jun 2013 , 6:36pm by vgcea

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 8:48am
post #1 of 6

AJust found out today that LorAnn Oils has 5 'new' flavors: Banana, Raspberry, Pumpkin, Peppermint, and Cream Cheese.

I've found with this brand some of the emulsion flavors can be touch and go. Out of the couple that I've tried, I like the lemon, and am okay with the almond. Others have been somewhat blah.

Anyone tried these new ones?

5 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 6

I've tried Raspberry, Lemon and Cream Cheese.

The lemon is good in both cakes and cookies, but I really like her oils for the citrus category.  (I use Orange oil in my Springerle cookies, and tried the Orange emulsion, and it just wasn't as good.  However I use the Orange Emulsion in biscotti, and it comes across nice and srong).

I've used the Raspberry in IMBC and cake, it was good.  I've used it in macarons, which my husband thought tasted like Frankenberry cereal (the combination of fruit flavor and the texture wasn't a winner).

I used the cream cheese in IMBC and ABC and was really unimpressed.  I didn't like it at all.  I've got almost a full bottle to figure out a use for.  I may try it in a pound cake recipe to give it a depth of flavor.

Liz

vgcea Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 6

AAwesome! Thanks for the mini reviews Liz. I had high hopes for the cream cheese. I've gotta try the oils for the citrus flavors especially the orange as the emulsion version seems so bland. I know the raspberry oil is pretty good.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 6

I tried the raspberry, and didn't find that it tasted like real raspberries at all (used in SMBC).  However, if I add the raspberry emulsion to something already containing raspberry puree then it does amp the flavour very nicely.

Tried the lemon in cake, and loved it.

Tried the cream cheese in a powdered sugar frosting and I liked the flavor it added.  Tasted nothing like cream cheese, but did make the frosting taste "creamier" if that makes any sense.

I'm glad I'm not the only one finding these emulsions kind of blah.  I had high hopes for them after seeing so many good reviews online.  I also tried the Princess emulsion and not a fan of that one either!

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 6

I'll add that I do like the almond emulsion, but like Jennicake, don't care for the Princess emulsion.  I think kids might like the Princess one, though.

The LorAnn citrus oils come in the larger 1 oz. bottle, not the little candy bottles (dram size?).  They are labeled as natural, and I think they are just pure oil from the zest.  I've got orange and lime right now, and they are fantastic.

Liz

vgcea Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 6

AThanks Liz. I was thinking you meant the tiny bottles. Okay I know the right one to get now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%