Ford Logo...copyright Infringement??

Baking By momtoabby Updated 24 Jun 2013 , 5:27pm by matthewkyrankelly

momtoabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtoabby Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 12:07am
post #1 of 13

Hey everyone..I have a question.  I know we are not allowed to SELL character cookies (or cakes..such as Spongebob, Mickey Mouse, Dora..etc), without, permission. But does anyone know if we are allowed to do the "Ford" logo?  I have a cookie order and she wants some Ford logo cookies.  I can make them, just not charge for them.  Can anyone confirm this for me please?

Thanks!

Dana

12 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 2:11am
post #2 of 13

Same rules apply to logos, they are copyrighted material.   Although, I must say, I am not sure Ford is actively looking for people who violate their copyright, unlike Disney and Nickelodeon, who hire lawyers for just this purpose.  Have fun baking!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 3:02am
post #3 of 13

AYou can make them, you can't sell them.

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 5:47am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

You can make them, you can't sell them.

Wrong, actually.  Can't make them AND can't sell them.  Because if you make them, you're denying Ford the opportunity to license the copyrighted content to someone who will pay for the right and sell them to the client.  Will you get caught?  Probably not.  But if you want to be true to the letter of the law, it's not legal.

*puts pretty-much-unused law degree back on the closet shelf*

Nancy_TX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy_TX Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 13

AI wrote to Ford when I was asked to make a Ford Mustang and they gave permission within hours. Easiest company I've ever worked with for that.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 13

Just curious Nancy, who did you write to at Ford?  Not the actual person per se, but what department/area?  Did you call / e-mail / write, and where did you find the contact information?  This is an area that I want to improve, but I have always been at a loss as to where to start.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a list of copyright holders, how to contact them, and the likelihood that they will grant the use?

kikiandkyle Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 13

AI would contact the legal department, you can usually find it in the corporate/investors section of a company's website.

momtoabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtoabby Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you all so much! I just went the safe route and chose not to make them...offered another alternative.  I just see so many cookies posted on facebook and I always wonder, how do they obtain copyright to do them. Such as characters, like, Dora, Elma, Spongebob or even a school logo.

ccjones5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccjones5 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 12:52am
post #9 of 13

AI emailed the Phillips 66 company about a cake that a customer wanted and got a reply in 30 minutes to cake away :) as long as I didn't alter their logo. It is worth a try.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 2:58am
post #10 of 13

A

Original message sent by remnant3333

If Wilton sells the mini cake pans with copy rights and you buy them  haven't you bought the rights to make it?  Examples would be the mini bugs bunny cake pans, Garfield (the cat), Charlie Brown, model T ford, Superman and batman etc. The mini pans may look like cookies because they are smaller than the bigger cake pans. I was just wondering about copy rights on those types of pans. I am thinking that you would be safe to make those or would you? Are these only for home use? Since I only do as a hobby it would not affect me but was wondering for those who are in business.

Usually the cake pan (or the packaging or instructions) will indicate whether the pan is for personal use only or if commercial use is allowed. Unless reproduction rights are specifically stated somewhere you should assume you don't have them.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 12:32pm
post #11 of 13

A

Original message sent by remnant3333

Thanks, Jason for your reply because I was wondering about that. I see some of the vintage cake pans on Ebay and not all of them have directions or copy rights attached because they are old. 

Contact Wilton

kikiandkyle Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 13

AI see a lot of businesses posting photos of cakes and cookies they've made that include copyrighted characters, only once was it clear that they had permission. Now do I take that to mean it's okay for me to do it? Absolutely not. "Everyone else is doing it" is not a legal defense.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 5:27pm
post #13 of 13

It is worth contacting them.  I recently contacted a state level government for a copyright request for wedding cupcakes.  They were a gift.  Since no money was being made, the lawyers were OK and pleasantly surprised I asked.  All legal and easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%