Should I Start A Cupcake Business From Home

Business By loz1986 Updated 10 Apr 2014 , 12:53pm by nigelnigel

loz1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loz1986 Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 11:24am
post #1 of 19

AHi I just need sum advise if I should start a cupcake business from home in albany wa? I've been cooking/selling cakes/cupcakes from home for the past year! Still need work but was just looking into it for a year or two down the track.

18 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 19

It's a bit difficult for us to advise you without knowing you or your work or your area.

What is the market like in your area?  Is it saturated meaning there are plenty of companies to fulfill the demand?  Are you talented?  Do you have the necessary skills as well as business knowledge?  

Have you done your homework to find out just what it will take legally, financially, and emotionally?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 19

AThere are many steps to take before you can start a business, I wrote an article on my blog that provides a high level overview of these steps.

The most important things to straighten out ASAP are your business liability insurance, pricing, and compliance with local food safety laws.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 19

I am starting a home business. But my city does not allow you to prepare food to sell from your home kitchen unless it is completely closed off and not used to prepare your meals. Luckily my daughter owns a restaurant I can bake in otherwise I would never be able to get my health cert. ALso to protect your personal assets you would want to file for an LLC, which I did online. My business insurance quote was only $35 a month for $2M liability, I want to trademark my name with the state, and have to get the business license. The good part of being an LLC is that I will file my income along with my regular return so I won't have to have an accountant. There is a lot to it. Make sure you look into everything before starting. Otherwise you may spend a lot of $$ just to find out it's not even feasible.

BakerBee7468 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBee7468 Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 1:33am
post #5 of 19

AAs has already been said, many factors go into starting a business, research of laws in your state, competition, pricing, insurance, start up costs, among many other things. Since laws vary from state to state, I would talk to people already stared up in their business in your state. You would at the very least gain some insight into what you have to do

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 2:06am
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by loz1986 

Hi
I just need sum advise if I should start a cupcake business from home in albany wa?
I've been cooking/selling cakes/cupcakes from home for the past year! Still need work but was just looking into it for a year or two down the track.

I'm a bit confused. You asked if we thought you should start a cupcake business. But then you wrote, "I've been cooking/selling cakes/cupcakes from home for the past year!" Since you are already in business, what is your question - how can we help you?.

BakerBee7468 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBee7468 Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 2:09am
post #7 of 19

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

I'm a bit confused. You asked if we thought you should start a cupcake business. But then you wrote, "I've been cooking/selling cakes/cupcakes from home for the past year!" Since you are already in business, what is your question - how can we help you?.

What she's saying is she's not an official legal business, she wants to know if she should start up a full fledged business which is different from just selling cakes on the side

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 2:28am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBee7468 

What she's saying is she's not an official legal business, she wants to know if she should start up a full fledged business which is different from just selling cakes on the side

Yes, thank you, I understood that the OP is doing business illegally and asked us if she should stop breaking the law and become legal. Very interesting question... Given that WA has a CFL, it would only make sense to investigate the legal route. 

jason_kraft Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 2:31am
post #9 of 19

AThere's also the issue of reporting hobby income to the IRS if you aren't running a legit business...the rules for hobby income are much harsher than business income, since you may not be able to take any deductions for expenses and you cannot apply losses to other income.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 7:46am
post #10 of 19

I think the person is in Albany, Western Australia.  Our laws are totally different to yours, though most legal home based businesses need at least council approval.  Like in the US what is needed varies from state to state but also from council to council.

loz1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loz1986 Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 9:04am
post #11 of 19

AI only sell cakes at hm at the moment for friends and family... Just as a hobby... I've been looking into wat is required for starting a at home buisness and I'm keeping every1 suggestions in mind...

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 7:22pm
post #12 of 19

A recent episode of "Best Thing I Ever Ate" a show on Food Network, was about cupcake shops.  The opening narrative featured a food "personality" talking about a particular cupcake shop she liked.  She distinguished it by saying "these days you can't swing a cat without hitting a cupcake shop..." (her words not mine").  She was saying that there are more cupcake sellers now than ever, and the failure rate is in the high 80%++ area.  But there are still good shops that have lines out the door & around the corner ever morning, that limit customers purchases to 6 cupcakes each so they don't run out too early, and get $4-$6 for their standard decorated products.

While I have never had a 'stand in line' cupcake, my friends that have said they're good but they aren't "all that". They said my legally made in a home kitchen cupcakes (Cottage Industry governed) are just as good if not better, but they are friends. I'd like to take the next step and grow my business, and do wedding & other special occasion cakes, but official startup of a shop is very costly, complicated.  It requires research about criteria unique to your area; whats the market/demand like? what does the competition charge? are area cupcake sales good? do you need a commercial kitchen, food handling certification? can you satisfy zoning, health department & fire marshall, etc. to work legally from home or do you have to rent a space? what about advertising?  The big question is: just how hard are you willing to work for this?

There is a very good class avaliable on Craftsy.com called "Starting Your Own Cake Business";  maybe it would be useful at this time.  I worked in a local cupcake shop for a while to learn more about the business, and the owner was just hanging on by a thread, and closed one of her 2 shops recently, taking a big financial hit. She used all just add water type mixes!  In our area, the Small Business Administration is avaliable to advise people on these matters; they even have grants and loans avaliable sometimes, and can help a lot.  One things certain, you can always grow your little business for now, and see where it takes you.

Either way, good luck & best wishes!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 7:47pm
post #13 of 19

AAlong with the really relevant advice that others have given, which is what you definitely need to consider, I would also be careful not to speak in text speak. Like wat, and sum, and other misspellings and slang. Especially when conducting business with clients, and business people. That will really give people a bad impression of you, and probably not take you seriously. And I feel this advice is completely appropriate, because you want to give the best impression you can when starting a business.

BatterUpCake Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 7:57pm
post #14 of 19

Another old post

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 8:08pm
post #15 of 19

AGood grief, what the heck do they get dug up for then?!

jason_kraft Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 8:50pm
post #16 of 19

AThis one is only a few months old so it's not that big a deal...even if a thread is several years old the info is usually still pretty relevant.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 9:26pm
post #17 of 19

ASometimes if the person is not familiar with the desktop version of this website, it can happen really easily and not on purpose. It's a lot easier to do than you think. It happened to me before I got to know my way around. You just start scrolling and before you know it you see an interesting thread...you comment. Never even seeing the date

BatterUpCake Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 9:44pm
post #18 of 19

Just letting AZ know since earlier she commented on one from around 1937 or so...lol

nigelnigel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nigelnigel Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 12:53pm
post #19 of 19

Hi,

My name is Nigel Fordham and I am owner and founder of Kustom Cupcakes Perth, Western Australia. 

www.kustomcupcakes.com.au

www.facebook.com/kustomcupcakes

I'd be happy to offer advice for your home based business to LEVEL UP! 

Nigel Fordham

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%