Giant Cupcake Collapsed!

Decorating By sanielle Updated 4 Jun 2013 , 12:15am by punkin90

sanielle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanielle Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 5

I torted a giant cupcake and used a chocolate shell for the cupcake wrapper (made from chocolate chips). This is the first one I have ever done and the cake just buckled and collapsed!

Any explanations? Can you not use chips for this only candy melts? I really struggle with melts as they (ironically) never melt correctly for me!

It looked beautiful too. Please any help recommended as need to do this last minute tonight now!

Thanks in advance icon_sad.gif

4 replies
funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 5

HI there.

I have only used candy melts. I don't know about choc chips but you might try the candy melts again and make sure and not get them too hot. I still mine well after 30 sec intervals of heating to help in the melting process and so it doesn't get too hot. I'm not sure if this the problem but do you also trim around the bottom of the cake. When I bake mine they are too big for the pan so I actually take off a good amount around the bottom and up the sides. If it is too big it might be putting too much pressure on the choc and that's why it is falling apart.

Not sure if this is the problem you are having but just taking a stab at it. Good luck

Wendy

punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 5

I have used both types of chocolate but like the candy melts better. I have had my shell to crack even though I trimmed my cake down before I put it in the shell. I was able to put some melted chocolate in a piping bag and pipe over the cracked part. Then I ran my finger over the chocolate to smooth and you couldn't tell it cracked and it held. Not sure how bad yours is cracked but you may want to give it a try if it is not too bad. Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

sanielle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanielle Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 12:00am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the responses, I did the  30 second interval thing and the candy melts (I ran out for some) melted perfectly thanks!. Going to bake the cake now, and hope for best.

Punkin, the whole cake collapsed.no smoothing over here trust me! icon_eek.gif

punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 12:15am
post #5 of 5

Sorry I wasn't sure if the shell cracked too. Good Luck with the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%