Am I Charging The Right Price For This

Business By shikhamj Updated 4 Jun 2013 , 4:02pm by LoveMeSomeCake615

shikhamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shikhamj Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 11

Hello friends,

Need some advice on my first wedding cake. I am asked to create a wedding cake (selected by the client from google images) which is similar to the pic I have attached. 

I am asked to make for 40ppl , so ill be making 8"6"4" , about 3" high covered with red, cream fondant , decorated with roses I am thinking about 24 roses. I quoted the price $120 for this. I was not sure what to charge as the client who ordered has a tight budget of just $100..

So did i charge the right price...am i charging too high please advise..

thank you..

shikha

10 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 11

ACheck out the Pricing Formula link in my signature below.

I probably would have quoted in the $200-250 range, your client will either have to change his budget or settle for a cheaper cake.

Although if you already sent the quote there's not much you can do besides hoping the client passes.

You should also make sure you are following the laws in your state, if CT does not have a cottage food law you would need to rent a commercial kitchen and adjust your price appropriately based on the increased cost.

LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 11

First of all 8", 6", and 4"(assuming the top tier is not for the bride and groom to take home)will not feed 40 people.  The usual wedding serving is cut 1" x 2" x 4".  The chart that I have gone by for years calculates 36 servings, give or take.  It's better to have some leftovers than not enough.  So I would def re-think my sizes.

I also don't think you are charging enough for that cake.  Especially w/ fondant and all those roses.  I would check around with local bakers in your area so see what they are getting for wedding cakes of that caliber.  I am originally from Ct and I know that bakers are charging a good amount more than what you are.  I would say they are charging around $6 per serving to start which probably doesn't include any flower work.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 11

AI completely disagree! Not everyone eats cake. I recommend servings based on guest count, reception style, & choice to serve ETOH. 36 is plenty. Also, according to Wilton, the 6" & 8" serve 36 by themselves. Not sure about the 4". I don't make them.

In Regards to pricing, no. You way undercharged. For me, just those 36 servings would be $162. My prices start at $4.50.

By charging $120 you are charging $3.33 for cake, fondant, & flowers.

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse doesn't care what my budget is.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 11

There are various factors involved in whether you should make more or less servings than the guest count, including whether there will be other desserts served, how much the guests will probably be drinking, and the typical age of the guests. And then there is the issue of whether or not the bride and groom intend to save the top tier.

$120 is nowhere near enough for this much cake. By the time you've covered your ingredients and overhead you are leaving yourself with maybe 5-6 hours at minimum wage, the flowers alone could take most of that time.

The fact that you're questioning whether it's too much suggests you have been underpricing yourself long enough to have attracted a cheap client base, who will never be willing to pay market rate for the cakes they want. Do yourself a favor and stop working for pennies, put your prices up and start re-marketing yourself to the right kind of customer.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

I completely disagree! Not everyone eats cake. I recommend servings based on guest count, reception style, & choice to serve ETOH. 36 is plenty. Also, according to Wilton, the 6" & 8" serve 36 by themselves. Not sure about the 4". I don't make them.

In Regards to pricing, no. You way undercharged. For me, just those 36 servings would be $162. My prices start at $4.50.

By charging $120 you are charging $3.33 for cake, fondant, & flowers.

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse doesn't care what my budget is.

Exactly my thoughts, I would love to go out to dinner and pick the most expensive thing on the menu and say, "But I only want to spend the same as MacDonalds charge"

shikhamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shikhamj Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 12:00am
post #7 of 11

Thank you all for your feedback, really appreciate it. When I started it , it wasn't really for money. I just wanted someone to order so I can bake, because I am so passionate about iticon_biggrin.gif. And since mostly my cakes are ordered by my friends I never felt I was charging this low icon_sad.gif . But now this cake is for a friend's friend, I was hesitant if i should quote appropriately and wasn't sure. So I came here and read all the experience about fellow bakers and was encouraged to seek help.  Now I got to figure out what I have to do.. this time I'll probably go ahead with this cake as I already promised, but surely I learnt my lesson.. I thank you all for your time and the response .. you all are the best ..thumbs_up.gif

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 2:08am
post #8 of 11

Either stick to baking for friends or figure out a business plan and do it properly. You're only going to end up hating it if you continue as you are.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 2:23am
post #9 of 11

AI would've charged $153 before the flowers.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 2:24am
post #10 of 11

AOh, and maybe $3-4 each for the flowers.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 4:02pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Either stick to baking for friends or figure out a business plan and do it properly. You're only going to end up hating it if you continue as you are.

Yup. Not to mention undercutting your local competition severely, which is not good for you, them, or the custom cake market in general. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%