Strawberry Cheesecake Filling?

Baking By kellyd01 Updated 5 Jun 2013 , 3:35am by maryintucson

kellyd01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyd01 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 2

I'm looking to try something different for me. and while I've done a strawberries and cream filling (w/ homemade whipped cream) it's been something I've only served still chilled or barely room temp. This weekend we have a family reunion to go to and I was thinking of trying a strawberry cheesecake type filling and am coming up dry w/ some quick googling. I was considering doing a cream cheese frosting and then putting fresh strawberries on top, or even my homemade strawberry filling, or even mixing the two but I'm not sure cream cheese frosting is quite the flavor I'm looking for.

Not sure if I'm explaining this right or not or if I'm just over thinking... any suggestions?

1 reply
maryintucson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryintucson Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 3:33am
post #2 of 2

Cheesecake filling is perhaps my favorite. I like to use it with white cake and add a layer of fresh blackberries or raspberries. Sliced strawberries would also be really yummy. The way I see it, cheesecake filling can be thick, rich and dense...like no bake cheesecake. Also, it can be light, fluffy, mousse like and stabilized with gelatin. I don't use a recipe for a thick version. It would contain cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, a bit of sour cream and a touch of lemon juice. Really any no bake cheesecake recipe will do. Many many years ago I made cheesecake filling with cream cheese, canned frosting and a little cool whip yikes lol. It's pretty much cream cheese frosting with double the cream cheese and a tiny bit of sour cream and lemon juice. I think the no bake cheesecake textured type filling would hold up better for a picnic. But I do like a lighter version as well.

Have fun at your gathering!

This is my recipe for a lighter mousse like version...

Cream cheese mousse filling

1 (8 oz)  package of cream cheese
1/4 c. sour cream
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. clear imitation vanilla extract
1/4 c. water
1 1/2 tsp. Knox unflavored gelatin
3/4 c. heavy cream, well chilled

Sprinkle gelatin over water in small saucepan. Allow to rest for 10 minutes to soften. Place saucepan over very low heat just long enough to warm water and dissolve gelatin. Remove saucepan from heat. Transfer gelatin to a coffee cup or bowl to cool. Beat cream cheese with sugar until light and well blended. Mix in vanilla and sour cream. Add cream minus one tablespoon in a slow steady stream to creamed mixture. After cream is added, pour remaining tablespoon of cream into the gelatin, stir and add in a slow steady stream to the mixture. Beat until light and fluffy. Mousse will be thick and a bit heavy still. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight to allow gelatin to set.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%