Giant Cupcake

Decorating By sweetjan Updated 6 Jun 2013 , 4:59pm by nutcase68

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 6

I'm planning to do a giant cupcake cake with the Wilton pan in the near future but have realized that I don't know what to do with the bottom part of that cake.  I was thinking about making it chocolate...how would I achieve that?

Advice on decorating the bottom of that cake is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

5 replies
punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 6

I have done a few of these cakes. Glad to hear you have the Wilton metal pan because it works best I think. I have done them with melted chocolate. There are tutorials out there on how to do this. Basically you melt your chocolate and brush it inside the bottom of the pan. I sprayed something like Pam spray in mine. Just a light coat too much will make the chocolate slide off. Next just brush the chocolate inside the bottom of the pan. Pop in the freezer for about 30 minutes and coat it again. You may want to do this 3 times to get a thick coat. Be careful when removing this from the pan it will crack. Mine has cracked after I put my cake in and I found that if you put the chocolate in a piping bag and fill in the crack and run your finger over it to smooth the crack you can barely see the crack.  You will have to trim your cake down so it will fit in the pan. Good Luck!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 6

Oh, thank you so much!!  I was wondering if you could mold directly from it and didn't know if the fact that it's not silicone was a problem.  So I can use the pan as a mold and it pops out from what you are saying. Great!

Thanks so much for your time and help~ 

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 6

I got the silicone giant cupcake pan at Goodwill.  It did not come with instructions.  I made a cake in it and took it out the pan while it was warm like I do any other cake so it could cool.  It crumbled into a mess.  Ended up making cakeballs out of it.  What did I do wrong?  It is my only silicone pan.  Not sure if I like it or not.  So far I don't.

punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 6

I have both pans and have made cakes in them. I have never had that problem. I use a cake recipe that is a pound cake so it is firm. It has pudding in it also. Not sure if that is the problem or not. For the cupcake shell I use only the metal Wilton and pop it in the freezer and the shell will come out better than the silicone. The shell in the  silicone always cracked on me.

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the info.  I will try pound cake next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%