Wasc Cake

Decorating By tracie42 Updated 27 Jan 2014 , 2:42pm by danie71

tracie42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracie42 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 17

Can anyone tell me if they have an adjusted recipe for WASC cake. Cake mix has changed the box used to be 18.25oz now I believe its 15.25oz. Thanks 

16 replies
Omas Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omas Cakes Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 17

AFrom what I have seen, you make up the difference (3 oz) from another mix. So if you used one box you now need two. That's also supposed to keep the top of the cake from being "wet". HTH

tracie42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracie42 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks, that makes sense 

Omas Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omas Cakes Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 17

AYou're welcome! Post pictures of your finished products so we can all enjoy them!

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracie42 

Can anyone tell me if they have an adjusted recipe for WASC cake. Cake mix has changed the box used to be 18.25oz now I believe its 15.25oz. Thanks 

I use Duncan Hines and I add 1/3 C flour and my recipe has turned out the same.  I also add 1/3C for my other doctored cake mixes and they turn out the same also.

jstamoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstamoore Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 17

I use Duncan Hines and 1/3 cup extra mix.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 17

Hmm. The one time, to date, that I've divided a mix (8x8 white kitchen cake, to go with my mother's chocolate birthday cake), I did so by weight, using a digital food scale (the same one I use for splitting packages of pasta, and for any other ingredient given by weight).

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 17

I just add an additional 1/4 cup of flour to the mix. So far so good:)

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 17

Just wondering....If you add 1/3 cup extra mix do you still use the same amount of eggs, oil and water that is on the package?

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 12:01am
post #10 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeezyS 

Just wondering....If you add 1/3 cup extra mix do you still use the same amount of eggs, oil and water that is on the package?

I add an extra 1/3 cup of flour, but I leave the other ingredients the same.  My recipes are recipes that are "doctored" so to speak, so the other ingredients aren't actually what is on the box.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 12:15am
post #11 of 17

Hmm. I've not done a WASC myself (I honestly can't see how sour cream would improve a cake, and if I'm doctoring the flavor, it's either for my strawberry marble, or [maybe] to intensify a spice cake, and I can't see how almond emulsion would be of any use for either of those), but when I add (or remove) 1/3 BOX (by weight) of additional mix to adjust the batter volume, I also increase (or decrease) all other ingredients by 1/3.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 1:43am
post #12 of 17

two easy choices:

buy SIX 15 oz. cake mixes. Separate one of the boxes into 5 - 3oz. portions, put in baggies, add one to each of the 5 boxes.  Follow normal WASC recipe.

♦ or

use the 15 oz. box and reduce each ingredient by approximately 1/5th.    15 is about 80 percent of 18, so only add 80% of each ingredient.

ie:  flour = 5 oz. a cup,   only add 4 oz. of flour.

MBalaska Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 10:24am
post #13 of 17

Got lucky today! Went grocery shopping and the 15. oz box mixes were on sale - 2 for one - couldn't pass up the sale.  6 boxes went in the cart.

Took me just a couple of minutes to weight out one box and put 3 oz. of mix into 5 snack sized ziplock baggies.  One baggie in each of the 5 boxes.

18 oz. Box WASC cakes.........Ready and Waiting :D   WooHoo .

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 11:02am
post #14 of 17

AMy most popular and asked for cake is the WASC. I make it with the smaller box mixes and have no problem. I have tried adding the 1/3 extra cup of cake mix and see no difference so gave up going to the extra trouble.

danie71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danie71 Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 3:11pm
post #15 of 17

I have been using the WASC recipe quite a bit lately and with great success. I do not add any additional flour or mix from another box. I simply make the recipe as it is with no additions to make up for the mix now being less than it was prior. I have had no issues with the cakes, I recently did a 10-8-6. The cake holds up just fine and does not produce a wet cake so to speak. :D

MBalaska Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 1:54am
post #16 of 17

My experience with less box cake mix (the 3 missing ounces) resulted in a gummy cake. Everyone really does have different results and I don't mind the few minutes it took to weigh out the extra mix.  :)

danie71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danie71 Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 2:42pm
post #17 of 17

I do agree MBalaska, every one can have very different results. I was just saying that I have had good success and have not had any issues with a gummy texture or other wise. Best of luck to everyone who tries this recipe and their own variation.  Anyway you go lets just keep making CAKE!! lol :smile:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%