Cake Recipe From Mix That Holds Up To Stacking? And Buttercream That Won't Melt?

Baking By erikabakes Updated 4 Jun 2013 , 12:03am by erikabakes

erikabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikabakes Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 3:37am
post #1 of 4

I rarely make specialty cakes, so I usually use doctored up box cake mix for my wedding cakes that holds up well. Though, the chocolate cakes are so crumbly! I've tried adding an extra egg, baking longer, etc, but may layers keep breaking during stacking! The vanilla cake never does this. I also always add a box of chocolate pudding mix into the batter, which I thought would help to thicken the cake. Any ideas how I can make chocolate box cake more dense, especially on the sides? I can't take any more breakage!!

Also, the Texas heat is giving my buttercream a hard time, any great buttercreams that stay firm after refrigeration? Mine seems to melt a bit on the drive, which is fixable for textured buttercream look, but not the perfect cakes.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

3 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 4:08am
post #2 of 4

here is a durable chocolate cake recipe from this site. there is also one for yellow and white, i think. just google that. hth

http://cakecentral.com/a/durable-cake-for-3d-in-chocolate

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 4:09am
post #3 of 4

I forgot to say, a lot of decorators on this site use these recipes for stacking. you do , of course use dowels  when you stack, right? hth  also, a lot of decorators on this site use sharon zambito's b/c recipe and indydebi's recipe, please google that also. it will help you

erikabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikabakes Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 12:03am
post #4 of 4

AI use SPS for stacking, so that's never a problem. It's mostly just when I am cutting the four even layers before filling and icing. I've read about baking the cake at a lower temp for longer so the cake doesn't dome and will have smaller air pockets. It seems that the vanilla cakes never dome, and I never have a problem woth them. That may be a great solution.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%