Filling Ideas Needed!

Baking By reginaherrin Updated 3 Jun 2013 , 7:25pm by reginaherrin

reginaherrin Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 2:57am
post #1 of 8

I am making my nieces birthday cake this coming Saturday and need a few new filling ideas.  I am making a 3 tiered cake, mixed berry (which is a strawberry cake with blueberries), vanilla and cherry chocolate chip.  I already know I will be doing a buttercream with the vanilla but am not sure what to do with the other two.  I normally use mousses in a variety of flavors but this is going to be an outside party and I am in Texas and it will be hot so will need something to hold up better.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. TIA

7 replies
reginaherrin Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 8

Anyone?

imagenthatnj Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 8

There's lots of filling ideas here.

http://sweetapolita.com/recipe-index/

reginaherrin Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks so much for your help.  I didn't really find anything that I wanted to use though, most of the fillings are buttercream or just wouldn't go with the flavors I am making.  I do think I will be doing a cherry fudge filling for the cherry chocolate chip, hopefully it wont be too chocolaty but hey its for kids and I love chocolate anyways.  I am still kind of stumped on the strawberry/blueberry cake.  I don't want to do any kind of strawberry filling for it and since I am doing buttercream for the middle tier I don't want to do a buttercream either but I may have to unless someone has another idea.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 8

I would probably do a lemon curd, or some other type of lemon filling for the strawberry and blueberry tier.

reginaherrin Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 8

OMG I hadn't even thought of doing lemon.  I think that would be great with this flavor. Thanks so much.

imagenthatnj Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 8

I was just going to tell you that I make a blueberry/lemon cake with homemade blueberry jam, and that was the only two flavors that came to my head right now...when I saw the other post. So you're set!

reginaherrin Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 8

I was kinda thinking of doing a blueberry buttercream but wasn't sure how that would taste and if it would make the overall taste very blueberry or not.  I can't do any jam fillings since it will be outside and I don't want to take the chance but thanks for the idea.  I may try it next time but definitely will be trying the lemon/blueberry combo. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%