Hello, I Have A Very Urgent And Important Question!

Baking By BrokenJetSki Updated 3 Jun 2013 , 1:19am by denetteb

BrokenJetSki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrokenJetSki Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 9

Okay, so I used to work in a bakery for some time as a decorator in high school but never learned how much cake batter you'd need for cakes!

I'm flying out of state to make my cousin's wedding cake

http://divascancook.com/2009/11/the-best-red-velvet-cake-recipe-easy-homemade-moist-with-southern-flair.html

I've used this recipe for my boyfriend's cake and everyone loved it but I don't know how much to make for the wedding cake!

It's a 3-tier cake, 14", 10", 6", all by 3" deep.

So for those of you that know, do you mind posting the recipe with the updated proportions to make the cake?

I have a 6 quart KitchenAid stand mixer if that helps with any information on how I should split it in batches.

I need to know as soon as possible, as I am flying out in one week!

Thank you so much if you can help and especially if you can give me the recipe so I know how much of everything I need to buy!

8 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 12:14am
post #2 of 9

I think you are just going to have to apply some math skills to this problem.  You will need to determine how many cups of batter your original recipe made, and figure out how many cups of batter each of those pans needs, multiply the recipe out, and then divide it into batches that fit in your mixer.

It would be great if somebody else could do all the "heavy lifting" and figure out the math for you, but don't you think you should figure that out yourself if you volunteered to make this cake?

Liz

BrokenJetSki Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 12:32am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

I think you are just going to have to apply some math skills to this problem.  You will need to determine how many cups of batter your original recipe made, and figure out how many cups of batter each of those pans needs, multiply the recipe out, and then divide it into batches that fit in your mixer.

It would be great if somebody else could do all the "heavy lifting" and figure out the math for you, but don't you think you should figure that out yourself if you volunteered to make this cake?

Liz

I was just asking in case someone may have already done something similar with a recipe with similar proportions and knew a good amount. I really don't have a problem doing the math at all, I just wasn't sure how to go about solving it since my skills at calculating what I need to bake are far less developed than my knowledge on how to calculate what I'll need for decorating and icing. Them asking for me to make the cake was incredibly last minute so I've been scrambling to try and figure everything out. Any help, in all honesty, would be greatly appreciated. Whether with proportions, tips and tricks to get a more even bake, or how many servings a cake like that would usually entail. The recipe I posted serves 12, but I'm not sure how many servings you'd typically get from a 14X10X6 3" cake.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 12:39am
post #4 of 9

This chart will give you the serving amounts for your cakes, how much batter and icing.  http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm    This chart is also in every Wilton yearbook in case you have one.  Since you have a short amount of time, google will be your best friend.  Just put in       even baking cake central          or cake serving amounts cake central           or whatever you are wondering and this will bring up relevant threads on cake central. 

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 12:41am
post #5 of 9

AThis chart well help you determine how many cups of batter you need. http://cooksdream.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=C&Screen=batter_data

BrokenJetSki Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 12:43am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb 

This chart will give you the serving amounts for your cakes, how much batter and icing.  http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm    This chart is also in every Wilton yearbook in case you have one.  Since you have a short amount of time, google will be your best friend.  Just put in       even baking cake central          or cake serving amounts cake central           or whatever you are wondering and this will bring up relevant threads on cake central. 

Thank you. Yeah, looking at the chart, it looks like I would need to do about 10 batches of that recipe if I didn't double the recipe. The bakery I used to work at recently closed down so I never got to ask about how to go about determining batter amounts. I just don't want to get WAY too much of my supplies and then have to come back with a bunch of stuff I have no room for in my apartment. Some is fine, but coming back with lbs of extra sugar and flour would not go well with my limited storage space.(:

BrokenJetSki Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 12:45am
post #7 of 9

Also, for the chart, are they talking about before you split and fill the layer? I don't think that would matter, other than making the cake a bit taller, but just checking.(:

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 1:13am
post #8 of 9

ADepending in which column you use, the batter is for 1-2" or 1-3" cake.

I use 2-2" cakes & cut each to 1" for a total of 4-1" layers. For me, I double the Wilton frosting amount.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 1:19am
post #9 of 9

The icing amounts are not for a torted cake.  You would have to allow a little more icing for each torted layer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%