50/50 Gum Paste And Fondant

Decorating By amberrcovey Updated 3 Jun 2013 , 2:42am by maybenot

amberrcovey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberrcovey Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 4

AI have to make over one hundred pieces for cupcakes using a mold. How far ahead can I make the toppers? I have never worked with gum paste I know you shouldn't eat it. I don't know if I mix the two how far ahead can I make all these toppers.

3 replies
Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 12:03am
post #2 of 4

As far as I know you can eat gumpaste.  Never heard that you couldn't. I actually just add Tylose powder to my fondant to make the "gumpaste"  You can make the pieces anytime and let them sit in a dry place.  The best thing is to put them in either something cardboard like a hat box or if you put them in a plactic container DO NOT COVER them with a lid. They will sweat and go to mush.  Gumpaste pieces last forever if you store them right.  HTH

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 1:23am
post #3 of 4

You can eat gum paste.  It's not very tasty IMO...kind of like Necco wafers.  I had a relative who ate about 20 gum paste flowers I had done for an anniversary cake.  He seemed to like them!

I much prefer mixing fondant with gum paste.  I think it works better than adding Tylose.  Tylose to me makes fondant hard and thick...not as pliable as the gp/fondant mix. 

You can  make your toppers weeks ahead if  you've got that long.  Just keep them covered in dry area and they'll be fine.  If you're using dark colors like purple or navy, keep them away from bright lights or they will fade. 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 2:42am
post #4 of 4

Of course you can eat gum paste.

If you want the toppers to be somewhat soft, make then just a day or so in advance.  If it's OK for them to be harder, you can make them as far in advance as you please.

As stated above, store them in a loosely closed cardboard box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%