Can You Help Me Alter A Variation Of The Wasc Recipe I Found On Here?

Baking By wtagrl Updated 2 Jun 2013 , 1:09am by manddi

wtagrl Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 9

I"m pasting this for lemon cake that I found on here:

Lemon Poppyseed
2 pkgs lemon cake mix
2 c CAKE flour (or 1-3/4 c AP flour + 1/4 c cornstarch)
2 c sugar
1 pkg lemon pudding
3 c lemon yogurt
8 egg whites
1 2/3 cup lemonade,
1 cup vanilla coffee creamer,
1 t lemon extract*
2 t vanilla*
1 t almond*
(*or 4 teaspoons LoRanns Princess emulsion instead of all of the other extracts).
1/4 c poppy seeds

I have to make some changes but don't know how because this is going to end up too expensive for me.

1. Can you use sour cream w some lemon extract instead of the yogurt?

2. I made a blue velvet recipe the other day that was great and used the whole egg. Any reason I can't just go ahead and do that instead of the whites? Is there a ratio adjustment for that?

3. Can I leave out the lemonade?

4. I have some heavy whipping cream, could I add a little vanilla extract to that in place of the vanilla coffee creamer?

5.Also one big oops I just noticed is that one of my cake boxes is 18.5oz and one is 15.5oz. I live in a really small town so It's quite a drive to the nearest store. Anyway to fix that?

6. And I know you are going to cringe at this but when I make the icing I just noticed by butter is salted. Is that truly going to make that much of a difference?

I do have a couple lemons on hand so I could use zest or lemon juice. I also have a bottle of lemon juice.

8 replies
manddi Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 9

A

Original message sent by wtagrl

I"m pasting this for lemon cake that I found on here:

[B]Lemon Poppyseed[/B]

2 pkgs lemon cake mix

2 c CAKE flour (or 1-3/4 c AP flour + 1/4 c cornstarch)

2 c sugar

1 pkg lemon pudding

3 c lemon yogurt

8 egg whites

1 2/3 cup lemonade,

1 cup vanilla coffee creamer,

1 t lemon extract*

2 t vanilla*

1 t almond*

(*or 4 teaspoons LoRanns Princess emulsion instead of all of the other extracts).

1/4 c poppy seeds

I have to make some changes but don't know how because this is going to end up too expensive for me.

1. Can you use sour cream w some lemon extract instead of the yogurt?

Sure

2. I made a blue velvet recipe the other day that was great and used the whole egg. Any reason I can't just go ahead and do that instead of the whites? Is there a ratio adjustment for that?

6 whole eggs

3. Can I leave out the lemonade?

If you do, replace it with water or milk

4. I have some heavy whipping cream, could I add a little vanilla extract to that in place of the vanilla coffee creamer?

I don't see why not

5.Also one big oops I just noticed is that one of my cake boxes is 18.5oz and one is 15.5oz. I live in a really small town so It's quite a drive to the nearest store. Anyway to fix that?

Add 3 oz

6. And I know you are going to cringe at this but when I make the icing I just noticed by butter is salted. Is that truly going to make that much of a difference?

If you're making a meringue based bc, it'll make a difference. If you're making abc, just leave out any salt that the recipe calls for.

I do have a couple lemons on hand so I could use zest or lemon juice. I also have a bottle of lemon juice.

Hth :)

manddi Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 9

AI don't think the recipe means 3 full cups of Yogurt. I think it means 3 of those little Yogurt cups. If you replace it with sour cream, only use 2 cups.

wtagrl Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 9

good point on the yogurt cups! I did interpret it to mean just the yogurt cups but forgot to think about how much sour cream that would actually equal. I'm a bit intimidated by making any changes!

wtagrl Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 9

Add 3 oz

Add 3 oz of cake flour??

Sorry I don't know how to do quotes

wtagrl Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 9

One more question. I've been trying to find the instructions on here somewhere. Like how and in what order you add ingredients, etc... I'm sorry but I just can't find it and I'm feeling like having a little tantrum! lol! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

manddi Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 9

A

Add 3 oz

Add 3 oz of cake flour??

Sorry I don't know how to do quotes

One more question. I've been trying to find the instructions on here somewhere. Like how and in what order you add ingredients, etc... I'm sorry but I just can't find it and I'm feeling like having a little tantrum! lol! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

3 extra ozs of mix. If you don't have an extra box, don't worry about it. It might come out a bit sticky on the top but it should taste fine.

Mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl and mix all the wet ingredients together in another bowl. Then mix the dry in with the wet in about 3 stages. That's how I do it but I think a lot of folks just throw everything in one big bowl and mix away.

wtagrl Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you so very much! Tantrum averted!

manddi Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 1:09am
post #9 of 9

AGlad to help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%