Macarons-Liquid Egg Whites?

Baking By Limpy Updated 4 Jun 2013 , 3:55am by jennicake

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 8

Can you use the carton liquid egg whites when making macarons? I will be using the recipe on the Bakerella site. Posted the question there, but have not had a reply yet.

7 replies
Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 8

Anyone?????

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 8

AYes, you can. And you'll find you will get a superior finish, because the egg whites are more liquid to start with, which is what you need for making macs.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 12:10am
post #4 of 8

Agreed.  I only use the carton egg whites and it works very well

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 12:36am
post #5 of 8

I usually just age my egg whites overnight, and that works great.  What brand of carton whites have you all had success with?

Liz

Annie70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie70 Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 1:27am
post #6 of 8

Do you really let the egg whites sit out overnight??  If you buy them in a carton do you have to do that??

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 2:29am
post #7 of 8

No, just with the fresh egg whites.  It just helps break them down/thin them out so they whip up higher.  I just made some meringue cookies with whites I aged for about 36 hours, and those egg whites whipped up to soft peaks just about instantly!

If you are worried about leaving them out, and you have a microwave, you can microwave them for a few seconds to accomplish the same thing. :)

Liz

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 3:55am
post #8 of 8

I think the brand I used was Simply Egg Whites.  And I've never aged them... just left them out on the counter overnight to bring to room temperature first.

Agree with Liz that fresh egg whites should be aged though. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%