Wasc Too Moist?

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 1 Jun 2013 , 3:40pm by bct806

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 3

AI've been using the Wasc recipe for a while now, and everyone loves it! However, I'm finding that the cakes almost seem too moist! Does anyone else find this as well? I baked three flavors for a cake this weekend- chocolate, red velvet, and vanilla. The vanilla seemed rather sturdy, but the chocolate cake looked like a mess,and seemed like it was ready to fall apart. I also find that when I level/trim the cake, the crumb is kind of a mushy mess that sticks to the knife, and therefore, I can't cut cleanly through the cake. I use a flower nail and baking strips when baking, and I always make sure the cake is completely cooked through. I'm wondering what I am doing wrong, and I'm also wondering if my cake pans could be part of the problem? Some of them are Wilton pans- is it possible they bake differently in those pans? Any thoughts or suggestions would be so much appreciated! I'd really like to keep using the Wasc, but I don't want a cake that falls apart!

2 replies
Nubianisme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nubianisme Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 3

I found that to be true as well. My solution is to bake the cake 1 day earlier than I normally would and let it sit. Sitting also improve the flavor. (Day 3 it is just incredible) I am to much of a beginner to tell you why it's overly moist. Hopefully someone else can help both of us. 

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 3

In one of my decorating classes they taught us to add a box of dry pudding mix to a cake to make it hold up a better. Maybe try that and see if it helps. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%