I tried searching for instructions for making this type of fondant cake but I can't find anything. Does anyone know how to get this striped fondant (sort of this "perfect")?
I don't have to wrap the cake like this, but would like to know how to get these stripes to look so straight and even as if they were real gift wrap.
That looks like the striped modelling chocolate gift cake project by BakingArts.com
I have not personally seen the DVD, but I have heard good reviews from other cake artists that have.
From their website:
- How to make perfect modeling chocolate and simple methods to create deep, saturated colors
- Prepping cakes to be wrapped in chocolate for a flawless surface
- Highly detailed instructions to create extraordinary stripes, with variations in design
- Whoops! How to make those wiggles disappear
- All final decoration, assembly and tiering
- Recipes for modeling chocolate, cake and icing included
That's interesting. Thank you both so much. I'll try googling and see what I come up with. Maybe I'll look into purchasing the dvd.
I loved this too and discovered you CAN make this with either modeling chocolate or fondant! You can find instructions generously posted for free at this facebook album:
I look forward to trying this... and hope you do too!
Modeling chocolate will give a much cleaner blend though. The fondant is a bit more difficult to get blended in evenly without warping and drying out first from the process. From Scratch did one with fondant though awhile back, bigger stripes, and it was a round cake....and it was HOT! May be in her gallery.
It's actually modeling chocolate. They have a dvd that teaches how to do it, I haven't purchased it, but it's on my wish list! Here's the link
The tutorial is also available on Cake Masters. I have the DVD - excellent