Baking A Different Colour Cake Inside A Cupcake?

Decorating By caker1101 Updated 31 May 2013 , 4:29pm by liz at sugar

caker1101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caker1101 Posted 31 May 2013 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 2

I am doing gender reveal cupcakes in a few weeks, originally the plan was to use a filling colored blue, but the client now wants just cake, no filling.

I have seen people put cake balls into the cupcake batter, but I can't get past the texture, and can't see that tasting good.

I also found a few sites that have baked hearts, or something similar, into a cupcake.

My question is which do you think is a better idea...

Bake the blue cake, cut out little squares, chill them well, and then bake them into the cupcake.

or

Bake the cupcakes and blue cake separately, then use a cupcake corer and take out the middle of the big cupcake, and replace with a piece of blue cake cut out in the same size?

Or is there a different way that I'm just not aware of? It's important that the blue doesn't show through anywhere until bitten/cut into.

1 reply
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 31 May 2013 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 2

I think people use cake "balls" or mini donuts from the little electric cake pop makers (not the kind with frosting mixed in).  If you freeze the blue baked balls or donuts, and then place them in your batter, they shouldn't rise up and show.

I think your idea would work just as well.

Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%