Oklahoma Sugar Art Show Question

Decorating By tink986201 Updated 31 May 2013 , 5:01pm by AZCouture

tink986201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tink986201 Posted 30 May 2013 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 5

I'm thinking about doing it this year but I have a few questions.

How do they feel about licensed characters, like say for a birthday cake I have a fondant Mickey on it?  

My second question I noticed that the are repeating LA BAL MASQUE what is this exactly?

I've entered a competition before and I was honest about what division I should be in but I feel that Oklahoma divisions are more advanced, would it be wrong of me to enter the adult beginner?

Last question for people that have done this before, is there anything that I should avoid doing?

Ash

P.S. I forgot to mention I'm technically because of Culinary School, been decorating for 6 years, and taking all the Wilton classes, I would be Semi-Professional.

4 replies
smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 31 May 2013 , 3:26am
post #2 of 5

I have never done a show so I can't answer your questions, but thanks for bringing this to my attention. I might need a mommy break and drive up to see the show.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 31 May 2013 , 3:49am
post #3 of 5

I don't know specifically how they feel about licensed characters but if they don't want you to use them, that info will be in the rules and regulations. It's REALLY important to read the rules carefully! I'm very involved with my local cake show and for the past 2 years we've had to disqualify cakes for violations and it's heartbreaking but it needs to be done. When in doubt, contact someone and ask!

You really shouldn't enter a lower division than the one for which you qualify. For one thing, it's not fair to the entrants who do enter their appropriate division. Also, would you really feel good about placing/winning under those circumstances? I know I wouldn't.

The first time I entered a competition I had been decorating for just 2 months past the beginner level and had to enter the intermediate division. I had only made about 8 cakes! Can you say intimidating? It turned out fine, though.

Good luck!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 31 May 2013 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 5

Have you checked the resources on the OSSAS website?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 31 May 2013 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 5

Might want to ask Kerry Vincent specifically, she'd be the one to give you the straight dope on it. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oklahoma-State-Sugar-Art-Show/55672596911

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%