Covering A Cake With Marzipan...

Decorating By adda lee Updated 31 May 2013 , 5:08pm by 105sruss

adda lee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adda lee Posted 30 May 2013 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 6

AI understand that it's a traditional convention to put a layer of marzipan underneath a layer of fondant when decorating a cake. What I want to do is first cover my cake with marzipan, and then ice it with buttercream.

So, will this work? I'm primarily worried about the buttercream sliding off of the marzipan. We're going to be in 90 degree heat outside on Saturday!

The whole reason that I want the marzipan layer is because I'm going to be cutting my cake rounds from a sheet cake, and the edges will be really crummy... I thought this might save me from having crummy icing :)

So does my grand plan hold water?

5 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 30 May 2013 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 6

That's a very expensive way to do a crumb coat, lol.

I would just do a typical crumb , chill well, then frost, or even do a second crumb coat if you're still picking up crumbs.

105sruss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
105sruss Posted 31 May 2013 , 4:01am
post #3 of 6

Butter icing isn't a great idea if weather is very hot as it does tend to melt. I wouldn't put marzipan under it though, they don't go together too well, I would use fondant/sugar paste. You could freeze it so that it all holds together as in that kind of heat it will have thawed by the time you want to cut it. I've done this with kids' upright character cakes. If you do a thin layer of butter cream and let it dry, it will hold the crumbs and then you will be able to do a second coat to get the desired finish without picking up crumbs. That way there would be no reason to marzipan or fondant first.   

ArnoldSusan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArnoldSusan Posted 31 May 2013 , 9:20am
post #4 of 6

Hey, I also feel it will be costly for you to prepare cake in this way so if you want I can give you simple way to prepare cake recipe so if you want do reply.

cheap wedding favors

adda lee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adda lee Posted 31 May 2013 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 6

AThank you for the good advice!! I'm so nervous about this cake... It's my brother's wedding cake, and I have no choice but to assemble it last minute. So I'm trying to anticipate anything that can go wrong! :P

As for the icing, I'm using Indydebi's buttercream, which I hear holds up well in hot weather, so... Fingers crossed!

On a side note, here's a pic of the gum paste succulents I made to decorate the cake... They turned out great!

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3022424/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

105sruss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
105sruss Posted 31 May 2013 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 6

They look terrific, well done and good luck with the icing I'm sure it will be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%