Need Help Please! Wedding Cake

Decorating By Sweet Granny Updated 31 May 2013 , 1:00am by Sweet Granny

Sweet Granny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet Granny Posted 30 May 2013 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 9

Help....I am currently doing a small 6 inch carrot cake wedding cake.  The bride wanted cream cheese icing but I know that it has to be kept refrigerated and it will not hold up under fondant. (and fondant cannot be refrigerated well).  

What do I do?

I have heard about a Faux Cream Cheese Buttercream but it also has buttermilk in it.  DAIRY again. Can this be left out?

Do I fill the cake with the faux "cream cheese" Buttercream and crumb coat the outside of the cake with regular buttercream or is the Faux cream cheese buttercream ok and stable enough to use on the complete cake.

I am in the middle of making this cake for Saturday so I need help NOW!

Thank you so much for being there for us CC.

Sweet Granny

8 replies
MARGHOT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARGHOT Posted 30 May 2013 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 9

AHello I would fill the cake with cream chesse however I would make sure that I make a stiffen boarder of buttercream(using extra powder auger). After that make sure to let it sit for about 2-3 hours just to make sure u have no blow-out before u crumb coat the cake. Use a large white FDA resen approved trash bag,place your cake in the bag and refrigerate it. I will inform you that I refrigerate my fondant cakes however I make sure they are in a box n if ur cake is to large then just bring your temp in the frig is not to high. These are things I do all the time hope it works for you

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 30 May 2013 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 9

http://www.texascottagefoodlaw.com/Resources/Recipes/TraditionalCreamCheeseFrosting.aspx

That is a shelf stable cream cheese recipe that can also be covered in fondant. I have never used it, but I have seen a few others on CC that have and had good success with using fondant on it.

You can add more sugar to it, but you can't lessen it, as the sugar acts as a preservative for the cream cheese.

I refrigerate fondant all the time actually, but I wouldn't suggest starting to experiment with that on a wedding cake :)

Sweet Granny Posted 30 May 2013 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 9

So what you're saying Scrumdilly is that I can make a standard cream cheese filling with extra sugar, as long as I "dam it" with buttercream and it won't spoil sitting out at the wedding?  Or should I use the FAKE cream cheese filling?

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 30 May 2013 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 9

Well everyone's standard cream cheese recipe is different, but the rule of thumb is 4 cups of sugar to 8 ounces of cream cheese. The recipe I posted has been properly tested though, so I would probably stick to it since you are short on time.

A butter cream damn will have no affect on whether or not it spoils.

If you aren't comfortable using cream cheese though, go with a faux recipe.

Sweet Granny Posted 30 May 2013 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 9

Just using the BC dam to hold in the creamier cream cheese frosting not using it to prevent spoilage.  Our average daytime temps here in Alaska have been in the 70's and 80's.  It's an indoor wedding so the actual cream cheese recipe will be fine.

Thanks.

SugarMillCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMillCakes Posted 30 May 2013 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 9

You can build the cake as you normally would with the cream cheese frosting, then crumb coat and frost the cake with buttercream.  As long as you don't have cream cheese mixing in you should be fine.  Cover with fondant and refrigerate.  Voila!

Yriah91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yriah91 Posted 30 May 2013 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 9

Just be careful and make sure the cream cheese filling does not come in contact with the fondant. Cream cheese actually breaks down fondant. 

Sweet Granny Posted 31 May 2013 , 1:00am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  The cake is filled with cream cheese frosting with a dam of buttercream to keep the cream cheese buttercream from touching the fondant.  It has also been crumb coated in plain buttercream and is in the fridge setting up.  I so appreciate all your help.  I am hoping not to use carrot cake again as it is just a little too moist for my liking. (Hard to torte & trim)  (moist and crumbby)!  If that's a word.

I'll try to remember to post a pic of the wedding cake when its done. 

Also working on 2 dozen pistachio cup cakes for the same wedding.  They were not as moist as I would have liked but the filling should help that problem some.  Extremely delicious though! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%